We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Shops

Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Shops

Will be in Paris in 3 weeks. Do folks have recommendations as to specific shops that have good varietals and prices? We invariably buy 2-3 bottles and bring them back with us

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
503 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,184 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
628 Reviews
from US$73.80*
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,485 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Shops

Le Repaire de Bacchus, especially the one on the rue Moufftarde. They have cases of inexpensive bottles of wine out on the street, 3- 4 euros, and then the cost works upwards inside. http://www.lerepairedebacchus.com/

Edited: 12 May 2014, 21:21
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Shops

The only place I know that has varietals is the Monop' / Monoprix supermarket chain. They are around 4 €.

Varietal wine = vin de cépage

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Shops

A varietal is a wine made of one specific grape - ie: cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay, merlot, etc... Which is the way wine is labeled in the US. The OP, may need a quick lesson about French wine to understand that wine is not normally labeled and sold that way in France.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Shops

More and more vintners are labeling the cepage, sometimes single grape and often more. On a simplistic level, it is not difficult to learn the various regions and the grape they grow.

Here is a start: http://www.terroir-france.com/wine/grapes.htm

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Shops

Nicolas has them too, I couldn't remember the name of their "collection" of varietals, now I remember: Grains de Cépage.

Gamay: www.nicolas.com/index.php/fr/18_17_8193.htm

Cabernet-Sauvignon: www.nicolas.com/index.php/fr/18_17_3784.htm

As for the Monop, the bottle labels have a large, colorful circle, a different color for each grape.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Shops

Parisbymouth.com will give you a good list by arrondisement....

Level Contributor
4,332 posts
661 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Shops

@NYCHH, thanks so much for the Parisbymouth.com link!!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Shops

I live in Paris and use to buy wines from :

- Lavinia, a wine shop with a huge selection of wines from all over the world, in Madeleine area,

- Nicolas (a store chain very easy to find everywhere in Paris) for common wines or Champagne,

- Vins & Millesimes (www.vinsetmillesimes.com), an online shop with very well priced mature vintage wines from Bordeaux and Burgundy.

I also use to go to Ochateau, near to Louvre, when I want to drink a glass. They have about 30 wines served by glass !

Have a good journey in Paris !

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Shops

Most of the ordinary wines now have the grape variety printed big on the label, even bigger than the terroir.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
46,716 posts
1,496 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Shops

<<The OP, may need a quick lesson about French wine to understand that wine is not normally labeled and sold that way in France.>>

We are seeing more varietal labeling of French wines in the US, but that is *usually* an indication that the wine is produced for import into the US market. To me (with but a very few exceptions), it a warning flag.

As pointed out, doing a study on the French wine producing Regions, the Sub-regions, the Villages and even some of the vineyards, will go very long way to helping one get a handle on French wine. IMHO, every minute spent learning, will pay dividends later.