We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

I am travelling to Paris with my mom this week... and I am looking for reasonably priced restaurants (about 30 euros for a prix-fixe dinner). The challenge for me is that my mom just had a dental operation and cannot really eat anything but the softest meat (such as perhaps pulled pork or very tender meat in stews) or fish... how much of an issue is this going to be? Can anyone recommend any specific restaurants?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,457 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

All restaurants will have their menus shown outside the premises. Take a look and see as most will have fish, or soups and desserts. Look for creperies.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

How about a souffle? http://www.lesouffle.fr/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

Auvernese food includes alligot which is a mashed potato and cheese thing which is very tasty -- it usually comes with sausage or similar fairly easily chewed meats Le Plomb du Cantal is one of these in the Montparnasse area.

The Beouf Bourguignon at Chez Dumonet Josephine is very very tender and you could finish the meal with a lovely grand marnier soufflet. You can order a half order of the beouf although last time I ate there I got a full order because my husband and son wanted to order other things but have a taste of that as well.

Charcroutte Garnie is served with sausage and with very tender pork; Alsatian places have this including Brasserie Lipp in St. Germaine. Cassoulet while a winter dish is sometimes available year round and is a baked bean casserole with very tender bits of confit du canard, pork and sausage. It would be a great choice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,457 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

Forgot the name: but there's a classic dish of what looks and tastes like mashed potatoes topped with shredded duck confit, you can't get softer than that. Honestly, Ivan, if your mom is allowed to travel after dental surgery, she is on the road to recovery and most French food will be comfortable for her to choose. Start slowly and explore and work her way from there. Happy Eating.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

Thanks for the recommendations. She doe snot have "permanent" implants yet, and she was recently eating only baby food, so she she cannot eat any tough meats at the moment. fish would be something she could have, so any more recommendations for good restaurants that serve fish would be very appreciated. Thanks again

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

WE Queen, you're probably talking about a " parmentier "

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

@Ivan T: You're a good man.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

Crepes! I would love any excuse to eat nothing but ...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,457 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

Yes, Pllannerholic, that's the word I couldn't think of. Delicious and you couldn't get any softer or it would be baby food in a jar.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Paris with "soft food"

The vast majority of restaurants will have fish on the menu and as stated previously, menus are posted outside so don't worry (except you may need to carry a food glossary to understand the menus, one of the most difficult things to understand ina foreign language). There will always be soft food options on a menu between appetizers, mains and desserts: quiches, soups, pâtés, most side dishes...

WEQueen, the dish you are describing is not a classic, it's a more recent variation (and rather unusual if the meat was on top) of a French classic called "hâchis parmentier", which is made of ground beef and mashed potatoes and which, for people of my generation, is associated with low quality school cafeteria food. That used to be served probably once a week and was an opportunity to recycle the worst quality meat (all the parts no one would normally eat) between two layers of mashed potatoes. I would do my best to scrape the top layer but unfortunately, since it came in a mushy texture, most of the potato was contaminated by the yucky meat. Nowadays, you find variants with duck or salmon to make the dish more elegant and the word "hâchis" is dropped so that you have "parmentier de canard", "parmentier de saumon'", etc. But the best recipe is the original one with ground beef but only when it's home-made with real, edible meat :)

A little tip for foreigners: whenever you see the adjective "parmentier" or "parmentière", it means with potatoes (often mashed or in a soup).