We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro and RER tickets

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Metro and RER tickets

My husband and I, both in our fifties are visiting Paris in September this year. Our first free and easy trip to Paris! So we are quite nervous. We will be staying at Citadines St Germain

I have been reading up and trying to decide which train pass should we buy.

Would be grateful if you could help us on this matter.

We will be in Paris for 5 days (Sun to Thurs) leaving for London via Eurostar on Friday. On Sunday, as we have just arrived, we intend to just walk around the hotel area..

Because of the short time, we plan to visit the tourist sights in Zone 1 and to do some shopping at La Vallee Village and day 4. Read that Paris is a great place to walk ... So wherever possible, we will walk.

Only intend to 'go in' the Lourve museum and maybe Notre Dame. Husband not really into museums....

For Airport and Eurostar, we plan to take taxi as we will have our hard case luggages with us.

For our itinerary, we are trying to decide which is the more economical option. Should we buy

1) the navigo decouverte

OR

2a) Ticket T+ of 10 tickets each for Euro13.70 for the sightseeing in Zone 1 for the first 3 days.

2b) For La Vallee village, buy the 1 day zone 1 to 5 Mobilis pass. I think this pass is valid for the whole day and can be uses on both the metro and RER.

Another question for the ticket T+, if we need to change line from metro to RER, do I usually have to tap out of one station and tap in into the other? If yes, does that mean I'll have to use 2 Ticket T+?

Sorry for the many question!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro and RER tickets

The ticket t+ is valid anywhere in Paris and anywhere on the métro. One ticket t+ is valid for one RER/métro voyage or one tramway/bus voyage, including all necessary transfers. While traveling, you are required to keep your ticket with you so do not disregard it until you exit the transportation network.

As to which of your transportation options might be preferable, only you can say. Both are good options, it just depends upon how often you use the networks.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro and RER tickets

Your options are:

1) Start with a carnet between the two of you and a Mobilis for the trip to zone 5. If you feel that you need to use the métro more than you anticipated, then get a second carnet or buy additional single tickets, depending on your needs.

2) Get a Navigo for zones 1-2 and on the day you go to the Vallée Village, add a "complément de parcours" to your navigo to cover the portion of the route that is beyond zone 2.

Tickets t+ are valid everywhere throughout all 5 zones on buses and métros, but on the RER they are valid only in Paris (zone 1). One ticket allows you to transfer within the rail network (métro, RER, suburban trains) or within the surface network (bus and tram) but not between the two networks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro and RER tickets

<<Tickets t+ are valid everywhere throughout all 5 zones on buses.>>

I would be careful with this statement because it can lead to a great deal of confusion. While it is true that a ticket t+ can be used throughout the network, one ticket t+ is not sufficient for passage across any number of zones, particularly those outside of zone 2. For example the 350 and 350 buses travel from zone 1 through zone 5 and require 3 tickets t+ for the entire journey. Thinking that one t+ will suffice for the entire distance is incorrect. There are other buses that originate in zone 1 and continue to zone 3 and beyond and some itineraries could require more than one ticket.

For most tourists, the question is never an issue because they have no compelling need to ever take a bus that far from Paris. I believe that even mentioning zones in relation to travel on buses and the métro causes more confusion than clarification. For most tourists, zones are only pertinent to pass choices.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 11:05
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro and RER tickets

Buses 350 and 351 are an exception because they go to the airport (there are a few otherexceptions) but the general rule is that one ticket is enough for any bus route, no matter how many zones it goes across.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro and RER tickets

OK I found the other exception (there is actually only one): it's line 299. That line and lines 350 and 351 are the only 3 bus lines that may require more than 1 ticket, the reason being that a portion of their route is on the autoroute (highway). So it has nothing to do with the airports.

Apart from that, only the Noctilien night buses may require more than one ticket: 1 ticket for the first two zones + one ticket per additional zone.

Everywhere else, it's one ticket per bus ride, no matter how long the trip and how many zones are crossed.

Sunderland, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro and RER tickets

I am on my first visit to Paris in a couple of weeks. Is the Mobilis the best way to travel from CDG to Gare du Nord or just a straightforward RER ticket? Can either of these be bought in advance? Is the Paris Visite worth buying? We are there for 4 nights so 5 days including travel.

Thanks in advance for any information

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro and RER tickets

There are also the Roissybus and Orlybus which are exceptions to the comment about universal ticket t+ acceptance. There are some tramways that extend into zone 4 which I will need to check on in reference to their accepting only a single ticket t+. None the less, universal statements about ticket t+ acceptance on buses can lead to a great deal of confusion for tourists due to the number of exceptions and special cases.

_____

<< Is the Mobilis the best way to travel from CDG to Gare du Nord>>

Mobilis passes are not valid for travel to/form either CDG or ORY.

<<Is the Paris Visite worth buying?>>

Probably not but the PV may be attractive in some travel scenarios.

To respond to any question about comprehensive travel solutions in Paris, you must include your date of arrival, how long you are staying, where specifically it is you want to go, the number of those traveling and the ages on any children traveling with you.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro and RER tickets

Nicky, no, Mobilis cannot be used for airport transfers by RER and it's very expensive anyway. Just buy RER tickets at 9.75 €.

Paris Visite is overpriced and only worth it for those commuting daily between Paris and outer zones. If your only trips outside Paris are the airport transfers then it won't be a good deal. Get it only for convenience if you like but not for cost effectiveness. It will include your airport transfers by RER B if you choose zones 1-5.

If your 5 days fall within a Monday to Sunday period, get the Navigo for zones 1-5 to include the airport. With the 5 € card to load the pass on, the total will be about 40 € per person for unlimited travel. Otherwise just get a carnet each of 10 tickets t+ at 13.70 € + RER tickets for the airport.

www.vianavigo.com/en/tickets-and-fares/ (Paris is in zone 1, CDG in zone 5)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro and RER tickets

Sarastro, I wasn't talking about acceptance of the ticket t+ but about the one ticket per ride rule.

As far as acceptance there are 29 buses in the Ile de France region out of 1,200 that do not accept the ticket +. Apart from the airport buses (which is logical), I suppose most are in distant outer suburbs and are neither part of the RATP or Optile networks.

I didn't say the ticket t+ was valid on all buses, I said it was valid everywhere, meaning throughout all 5 zones, or regarless of the zoning system. In other words, for this ticket, the zoning only applies on the RER / transilien trains (and to a lesser extent the Noctilien night buses).

Edited: 13 May 2014, 13:31
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro and RER tickets

Hello all

Thank you for your comments, it's really useful!

Can I know how much will the "complément de parcours" to la vallee village cost, where and how do I buy these? Is it for 1 way or return. I went to the rapt website and the info are all in French.