We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

Arriving Sunday morning at 8am to Orly and can't decide if I should go directly to Paris first to the hotel and then take the train, etc to Fontainebleau for the day, or to figure out a way to go directly from the airport to Fontainebleau (taxi, car service, maybe even rent a car?) and then to Paris at the end of the day.

What are your thoughts?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

I would suggest going to your hotel and dropping your bags. I'm sure you don't want to carry your bags with on a day trip. This sounds like an ambitious plan if you are arriving from an overnight flight.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

I wouldn't make a daytrip out of Paris on the day of arrival, but if you must, first go into Paris and drop your bags at the hotel.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 19:17
New Haven...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

Not an overnight flight. Arriving from Nice that morning.

As far as bag are concerned, we will have only carry ons, and I believe there is a place to leave the luggage at Fontainebleau, so really it's carrying luggage just one extra one-way than we would if we go directly to the hotel first. Of course, going directly to Paris first also means one extra one-way. :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

I did a little bit of research and found that the trains to Fontainebleau leave from Gare de Lyon:

parisbytrain.com/paris-gare-de-lyon-to-fonta…

I suppose you could leave your bags there. Where is you hotel?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

Once in Fontainebleau (train from Gare du Lyon to Fontainebleau Avon and Bus running to Chateau) , after visiting Chateau and then park and garden - it would be quite inconvenience to have to go back to Chateau to pick up your luggage.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

One day car rentals are extremely expensive. Then, you'd have to return the car somewhere. One of you could drop the other and your bags at your hotel. But, all that would be quite time consuming.

You would have to go from Orly to Gare de Lyon to proceed to Fontainebleau. You could store your bags at Gare de Lyon. The buses from the station to the chateau are much smaller than city buses and usually very crowded. I would not recommend planning to take your bags with you. Gare de Lyon is a huge station and checking and retrieving your bags may not be as convenient nor efficient as you would presume.

All depending on the the location of your hotel in Paris, the better bet would seem to be to drop your bags at the hotel.

Sometimes what may seem more "efficient" is not.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

How long is a train ride to Fontainebleau anyway?

Is it a day out trip?

Thanks.

Yuri.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

Yuri, the train from Paris to Fontainebleau is 38 minutes and then there is a bus to the château so it's just under an hour. But you must leave your luggage at your hotel or Gare de Lyon first, as I don't know of any place in Fontainebleau where you can leave your luggage (where did you see that?).

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

The chateau does have left luggage facilities

musee-chateau-fontainebleau.fr/…

However, as mentioned, it may be a struggle to haul bags on the bus between the station and the chateau, and the very large courtyard is paved with cobblestones, so getting to the entrance, you'd probably have to carry your bags rather than roll them and it's a bit of a walk.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving Orly & would like to visit Fontainebleau. Best way?

Thanks. Yuri.