We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

kolkata
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

I know this question has probable been asked many times before, and I've gone through a lot of them. Still not sure about which area to stay in or the hotel ??

From the forum posts, Latin Quarters seems like a nice place to stay in. But truthfully, cant find anything there in my budget, which is quite low to be honest. ( 60-90 euro ).

From TA, hotels like the Ibis Paris La Villette 19eme, or the Ibis Budget Paris La Villette seem to be within my budget so my question is, is that area safe to stay in, or is it very far from the main attractions ? As some hotels are close to the Metro, my reasoning says, that I buy carnets and travel the distance while paying much lower hotel rentals ? Am I thinking right or will the travelling be too much ?? Also how safe is the Metro if I'm travelling back late-ish, say 10-11 pm ?

One more plus point for this area, is that this area seems to be close to Gare du Nord, which is convenient for my Eurorail to and from London. Will be travelling sometime in early August ?

Thanks in advance... I know i might be repeating earlier questions, but super confused.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,172 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.70*
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

If these further from city centre hotels are within your budget - look to book one that is close to a metro stop.

There are some neighborhoods that are not very nice, but all of metro is safe.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
81 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

We stayed at Le Laumiere. The room was small, but not as small as many with a small ensuite bathroom, there is a lift. It is in a quiet area with the Metro stop 'Laumiere" just 30 seconds walk from the front door. Many cafe's and a supermarket within very easy reach. Cost without breakfast was 76euros on the street front (which was very quiet). I strongly recommend this place provided you are happy jumping on the metro every day. Metro cost is cheapest if you buy a book of 10 which is actually 10 separate tickets 1.3 euros each (rather than 1.7euros)

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

August is sometimes considered low season, so you may be able to find a lower rate than you think, especially if you can go up to 90 euros.

11 o'clock is not late in Paris. But if you are a woman traveling alone, you must always be cautious. This applies anywhere.

In the Latin Quarter, you might try the St Pierre or the Port-Royal-Hotel. In the 9th, you could try the Hotel Albion.

kolkata
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

Thanks everyone.. I'll have a look at the options you've provided.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

If you don't mind simplicity.....I like the location just north of Ile de la Cite/Notre Dame Cathedral. You would be near le Marais, a few metro stops from the Louvre, many restaurants, shops, etc. The hotel is Hotel Rivoli on a tiny street called Mauvais Garcons! Rooms are plain, staff friendly, view of the spires of Notre Dame and Hotel de Ville.

kolkata
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

Thanks organman... This seems a nice area to stay in.

@freetime2013 - I'm a little confused on this one thing... In Paris, if I buy the carnet of 10 tickets, does that mean any 1 travel will cost me 1.30 euro ? Is this irrespective of the distance travelled ? If this is so, then staying somewhere just near e metro stop should suffice for me. Other TA members, also if they can help me with this query, I would be most grateful.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

if you buy a carnet (batch) of ten tickets, each journey within Paris will cost a single ticket (1,37€) ..but you cannot transfer from bus to metro or metro to bus on same ticket:

"The ticket t+ allows you to change from metros to RER lines and from bus to trams. However, it does not allow you to change from a bus or tram on the one hand to the railway system (train, RER or metro) on the other."

www.transilien.com/static/tarifs/billet-unite

kolkata
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

Thanks Inna

9. Re: Which area to stay in ?? Hotel suggestions also please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:18