We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vinemont
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

Since I won't have to be anywhere at any particular time during my upcoming Paris vacation, are there any metro stations that should be avoided during the mornings or evening due to commuters? I'm wondering if there is anything like "If you can avoid metro line X between station Y and station Z during the hours of 7:00am-8:00am the better."

Paris, France
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

All metro lines and RER lines, from about 8 AM to 9 AM, and then at the end of the day from 6 PM to 7:30 PM. Line 13 is particularly bad. That said, if you do need to take the metro during this time, it's not as though it's impossible... But if you can avoid it, all the better.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

I agree with dreamoutloud87. On some busier lines (especially the longer lines that go far out into the suburbs, as line 13 mentioned above and RER lines), you can extend rush hour to 7:45 - 10 in the morning and 5 - 8 in the evening. On RER A, there is a considerable difference between 4:55 pm and 5:05 pm, you want to be on the platform before 5!

Edited: 14 May 2014, 13:43
Vinemont
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

Thanks for the quick response. Looking at the metro map, I don't a reason for me to be on Line 13 at any time since I'm staying in the 5th.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

Also, there is a lunch rush from about 12 to 2 PM.

It's good to remember that trains run 2 - 4 mins apart during the busiest times of the day and night. If one train is super-crowded, often the next one will be relatively empty. It's definitely worth the short wait.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

Some lines going mostly through residential neighborhoods (such as line 10 of the metro) are hardly concerned by rush hours.

Of course, what has been suggested only applies on weekdays. Rush hours are not as concentrated on week-ends.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

Every morning during rush hour, there are automatic announcements on line 4 telling people that there is a train every 80 seconds. Some people run and push and shove anyway.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

We have often waited for the next train during crowded periods; sometimes, but not always, it is a lot less crowded.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
861 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

It is also part of the trip :-D

9. Re: Are there rush hour times to avoid metro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17