We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
548 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

We will be arriving at CDG and probably taking a taxi to our hotel in Ste Germaine. Do we need euros for the taxi? Where is the best place to exchange US$ for euros at the airport. Is it better to use an ATM and if so, where are they located? We arrive on American. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

You don't exchange dollars for euros. You use your bank debit card to withdraw cash at ATM.

Most, but not all taxis accept cc.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

You would lose about 20% of the value exchanging at CDG. (This is true for the exchange offices in just about any airport.)

Get your cash from an ATM. They are plentiful at the airport and everywhere in France.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

In addition to what Tesa said above, before you go, do let your bank know that you will be in France to avoid having them put an unnecessary fraud block on your card, and at the same time verify any fees you may be subject to. I always take debit cards from 2 different credit unions just in case.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,898 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

Almost all taxis accept credit cards but the fare must be at least 15€. Most fares into Paris are approximately 50€.

Generally, ATMs are the preferred method of obtaining euros. American uses Terminal 2A, here is a plan:

aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/Resources/a6015efc-4…

I believe the ATM machines are near the detaxi office.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

You also have the option of purchasing some euros from your local bank, before you leave for Paris.

Your bank will charge a small fee for this, and it might take a few days to receive the cash - some banks are more well-equipped to handle this than others. The bulk of your cash should be withdrawn from ATMs in Paris.

I always recommend arriving with enough euros to get you through your first day in Paris - a couple of hundred euros should do it. This will mean one less thing to think about after a long trip, and the small fee is worth it, for the convenience. Get to your lodging, then go find the nearest ATM.

PS - I have to disagree with Sarastro - I take taxis a lot here, and most of them have said their credit card machines were broken, or they didn't have one, etc., no matter what the fare. Don't depend on credit cards being accepted.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 21:53
St. Louis
Level Contributor
548 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

Thanks for your quick responses. We travel to Mexico frequently and always advise our cc companies and banks of our plans. We use our Bank of America Debit Card at ATMs and don't get charged a fee. I don't know what their policy is regarding ATMs in Europe but will call them shortly. Will the exchange rate be better at ATMs in Paris vs the ATMs at CDG?

We haven't been to Paris in about 5 or 6 years and are really excited to be going back there. Thanks again.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

Good advice.

I travel always cashless and get some at an ATM, my wife takes some notes with her...

I have had to let the taxi go via an ATM sometimes because ATM in airport was out of order...

I pay more than 50% of the time by cc in taxis... but I book most of my taxi from office.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

From previous posts I've learned that Bank of America has free ATM withdrawals only at the BNP Paribas bank ATMs- of which there are none at CDG. Otherwise you will be subject to something like a $5 fee. This may be a case where you should order some euros in advance, and consider opening an account with a local credit union that will not gouge you with high fees.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

Yeah the fee at the airport for a non partner ATM is probably going to be like that, but depending on how much €'s the OP purchases back home, it may not be such a bad hit.

Intra-bank rate, minus say 2-3% plus USD$5, could work out better than a dodgy retail purchase rate back home.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
548 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchanging US Dollars for Euro's at CDG or using an ATM

I just talked to Bank of America and it turns out they wave all transaction and exchange fees on my account due to my also having a Merrill Lynch acct. Great news.....................