We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

I need some tips on how to carry cash and credit cards in Paris. Please let me know if there is some special type of travel- wallet/purse that might help.

Thanks

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

I have a special security bag, but I really, really don't think it's necessary. It's also really, really heavy and can be a drag to have to carry every day. So I don't always use it.

Most people recommend a bag that you can wear cross-body, that also zips shut. A flap going over the zipper is helpful, but not necessary.

I tend to go with overkill, because I"m a mom and my son can be a bit of a space cadet and my focus has to be on him first, my stuff second. So I keep two wallets on be, both zipped securely in my bag. They're not even actual wallets, they're just little zippered pouches. One has cash and my credit card, and I keep it in an inside pocket in my bag. I keep my ATM card in the second pouch. This way, if someone were to get past my zipper and flap, they wouldn't get everything. Plus these pouches feel more like cosmetic bags (especially since I keep lip gloss and mascara in with my ATM card). When I have to have my passport on me, it's kept in an interior zippered pocket, with my 1st wallet. I only have my passport on my when in transit from the airport, or if I am going shopping and my need it for duty free forms. Otherwise the passport stays in the hotel safe, with out emergencies-only Amex.

Seriously though, it's a bit of overkill.

Just using a crossbody bag with a zipper should be plenty. Use your normal NYC street smarts and you will be fine. There's no muggings or armed robbery, and the pickpockets are looking for an easy mark.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

Hi

Good attitude ...

for cash you have these belts which open in the inside, I find these very handy. Perso I never have cash on me (menaing never more than 200 € and replensih at ATM, use cards everywhere I can..).

For cards, you may want to have these purses on you or that you hang around your neck under your clothes.

Perso I have a small wallet (credit card size) and carry it in my front pocket of my jeans. Figure no-one would be taking it wihtout me noticing.

In foreing countries sometimes I leave half my cards in safe in hotel. With passport and I carry on me a copy or Id card.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

Carry your stuff the way Parisians do -- like you would at home. Rochester is not a village of 200 people, so I imagine that you know the basic precautions to use. Paris is not a dangerous city.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

I would agree that Paris isn't a dangerous city. A lot of people from small towns, who aren't used to city ways can be caught off guard though.

Most large cities will have pickpockets and other types of street people trying to separate you from your money. Doing a bit of reading on what to expect and how to protect yourself prior to traveling is always a good idea.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
576 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

>>Carry your stuff the way Parisians do -- like you would at home.<<

I'm not sure if that's good advice. I, like almost all men where I live, carry a wallet in my back pants pocket. I've been told by people on this forum that to do so in Paris is foolish. Perhaps they think it's foolish to do so where I live, too, but that is the norm here, and I've never been the victim of a pickpocket.

I used a small travel wallet, just big enough for a credit card, metro tickets and small amount of cash, and kept it in my front pocket while in Paris. I had some people on this forum suggest that a front pocket was no more secure, but I went with that, anyway, and had no problems.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

In plenty of the smaller American cities, all transportation is done in your private car, so obviously there is no problem carrying your wallet in your back pocket. I think the people who live in cities where they travel in buses and subways or commuter trains know that the back pocket is not a wise location for valuables.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

Thanks to all of you for your answers - they were a great help. thanks again :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

It's really not that difficult - don't carry too much with you, and pay attention to it at all times.

If you are travelling with luggage, take a taxi into Paris. You can economize later, and will avoid pickpockets.

Take one or two cards and enough money for the day. Leave the rest back at your lodging.

If there will be more than one of you travelling, do the same. Leave the bulk of your stuff behind.

Not everyone should carry gadgets or cameras - one per group should be plenty. Leave the rest home.

A neck pouch or money belt can be useful, but not if you have to dig around to pay for every single thing you buy.

Special purses or theft-proof clothing might make you feel better, but will not help you one bit, if you don't pay attention to your belongings.

Keep a small amount of cash in a wallet or purse, and refill in private (in a toilette) when necessary.

Keep your hands on your stuff, no matter where you go. Don't put gadgets or bags on a chair or table. Keep them with you.

Use indoor ATMs when possible, or have one person use the outdoor ATM while another keeps watch.

Don't engage with strangers - keep on walking.

Don't panic - ever.

See how simple it is? Now enjoy your trip to Paris!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

I would also agree that tourists should be more careful than the typical Parisian.

Tourists are in unfamiliar surroundings, more easily distracted, or can inadvertently end up in an area locals avoid. Tourists are easier targets to pick out of a crowd, because they stand out and the thieves know they are likely to have more cash and credit cards on them than the average Parisian.

When I travel around my home city I usually have about $20 cash and one credit card on me. I have a bit more than that on me when I am traveling, including an expensive camera and Ipad..

Edited: 15 May 2014, 18:26
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to carry cash and credit cards in Paris please ???

In response to the orginal question, I purchased a pouch with zippered compartments that I could wear around my neck under my shirt. That way I didn't have to worry about valuables when riding on the metro and also when sleeping in a train compartment on an overnight train to Italy.