We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

Hi everybody,

I with my family will land in CDG, terminal 2 on 11th July at 2000 hrs. I plan to take the RER and then metro to reach Hotel in Bercy. I want to get down at Chatelet-Les-Halles, and catch metro (M14) upto Bercy...

I understand that I need to buy the ticket for 9.75Euro/person from the airport, but I just want to be clear about the thing that, do I need to buy separate ticket for the metro part of my journey?

I read somewhere that unless I exit the station, tickets are good for 1 journey... but again I also read that, exiting RER needs ticket.

So, do i need to exit RER and get to M14?

Your help is kindly requested.

Tripadvisor rocks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

No worries, the two networks are intereconnected so no need to exit and use a new ticket

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

Thanks Parisix, thanks a lot

:)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

Here is the way it works. You get to Chatelet Les Halles and you will use your ticket to exit the RER station (RER trips are metered and so you need a ticket to enter and exit -- you then follow the signs to your metro station and as you approach the corridor that will take you there you will put that same ticket into the metro stile and it will recognize that you are on a continuing trip and accept it. After that you won't need the ticket again except if you are asked by a metro officer to prove you have a validated ticket. (this happens increasingly frequently and there is a hefty fine, so hang onto the ticket till you are out of your final station)

In other words you will use this same ticket three times on the trip -- entering the platform at CDG, exiting at Les Halles and then entering the metro at Les Halles.

If by some chance the metro stile will not accept your ticket, find an agent and they will help you.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 00:18
4. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 00:26
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

If you have any luggage, take a taxi.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

"In other words you will use this same ticket three times on the trip -- entering the platform at CDG, exiting at Les Halles and then entering the metro at Les Halles."

Just to clarify: The RER station is Châtelet Les Halles. It is connected underground to Métro stations Les Halles (line 4) and Châtelet (lines 1, 4, 7, 11, 14). In fact at this particular station, if you follow the signs to the Métro lines, when you exit the RER you are then in Métro territory and will not need to use the ticket again in a gate (but hang on to it as Janet advised).

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

So does this hold true if returning to CDG? Do I pay 9.5 euro at the metro station and continue on with the same ticket to RERS? Thanks.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

Why can't one bring luggage on the metro?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

yes yoiu can buy your ticket for 9.75 from Paris to CDG and board at any metro station making whatever changes are necessary. at some point yiou will put the ticket into an RER stile to get into the RER. As Richard notes there are some stations where you exit the RER into the metro and don't need to use the ticket again -- At Nord transferring to metro 2 you would have to insert it into the metro stile, but apparently not at Les Halles.

you can take luggage on the metro but you will be going up and down stairs so be sure you can easily manage it and that you are also pickpocket proof. 3 men surrounded my husband and frisked him trying to get his wallet as he negotiated stairs with our luggage last spring. he didn't have his wallet in his pocket so we didn't lose anything but it is a particular risk when you are coming in with luggage and an obvious tourist carrying all his stuff.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CDG to Paris City Center : train ticket

Thank you for the response. One other question. Can I purchase the metro ticket in advance of my travel date or do I need to purchase it on that day? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but in China you had to purchase the metro ticket on the day that you use it. Knowledge is key :-)