We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need to carry ID and what type

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Do i need to carry ID and what type

Here in the state, we use our DL as indentification. Should i drag my passport or its copy with me when in Paris at all times ? Don't want to loose it either. I am especially concern as i plan to pay with the credit card and here in the states often asked for ID. Since the CC does not have my photo ID ( i tried to add one but the microchip technology won't let me to), will i be asked for ID ? Can i use U.S. based DL or an expired passport ?

Thanks

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

I always carry my CA Driver's License and a copy of my Passport. I've only needed an ID a handful of times. Usually when getting an Audio Guide - I leave my Driver's License.

I honestly don't recall if I've ever been asked to show ID when using a credit card. I've never made any major purchases though. Usually just restaurants and some light shopping.

Way back when, when Traveler's Checks were widely used I used to take my Passport with me because you needed it to cash the TC's But, it isn't necessary anymore that I can see.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

Thank you :)

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

You should always carry ID with you. I carry my drivers license and am often asked for it when making credit card purchases at retail outlets (not restaurants).

Technically, you should have your passport with you as well, proving that you are in France legally. However, if you lose a passport, it will be far more difficult, costly, and time consuming than if you are asked to present it and do not have it. If you are asked for your passport and you are not carrying it, but can otherwise identify yourself, you probably will only be required to pass by the local Préfecture de Police with your passport.

When I asked, US embassy personal in Paris estimated that during the busy summer season, approximately 200 US citizens per week report their passports either lost or stolen. If you have visas in your passport, the replacement process will be even more complicated and costly.

San Diego
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

I usually keep my California DL and a clear photocopy (color) of the inside page of my passport with me at all times. I leave my passport in the hotel, or hotel room safe.

Should the need arise, I have always assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that I could retrieve my passport from the hotel in the event I need to deal with the authorities but that has never been tested.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

All the Schengen countries in theory require you to carry official ID - a passport or national ID card, but some are much stricter than others. Belgium is probably the strictest and there, if you can't produce the required ID at a police check (and a driving licence is insufficient), you will be detained for up to 24 hours while checks are made.

OCtravelingGirl
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

Hi puric!

I just returned from a week in Paris and the only time I needed to show my passport was when checking into hotels. Once checked in, I put my passport in the safe and only carried my US driver's license. I made a few cc purchases, but was never asked for my ID.

HTH and have a great time in Paris!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

Thank you all for responding to my post.

8. Re: Do i need to carry ID and what type

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 07:16