We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favorite thing to do on First Day

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Your favorite thing to do on First Day

We will arrive next Wednesday. Thank you for your help on my itinerary and I think I have sorted out what to do each day, but am still at a loss about what to do the first day.

What is your favorite thing to do on your first day in Paris?

Keep jetlag in mind. We are flying in from Los Angeles staying in the 11th Ard..

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
No. California
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

We live on the west coast also so are pretty tired on arrival day. Those 20-24 hour travel days are killers for me. For that reason we never plan any activities other than getting settled in the hotel and then going out to walk around and have a relaxing meal. We try to stay out as long as possible so we are not tempted to go to bed too early. We find getting onto the local schedule asap is best way to overcome jet lag, Next morning we are usually well rested and ready to put our energy into dealing with the crowds that will be encountered at most of the sites.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

Arrival day is a good day to get acquainted with your neighborhood. Are you staying in an apartment or hotel? And where in the 11th?

3. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 07:53
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

I would suggest you DO NOT take a Seine River cruise on your arrival day.. The drone of the engines will almost certainly put you to sleep

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

Staying in an apartment. We arrive at 9:45 am. We anticiape being at apt. by 11:30am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

I would suggest that do not plan too many things to do or places to see on your very first day. Simply, keep it down to just a couple of places you wish to see and just spend most of your first day just letting Paris sink in you.

Get up the second day fresh and visit all the eminent attractions and do all fun activities that Paris has to offer its guests. The soaring Eiffel Tower, the cathedral of Notre-Dame and the giant Louvre Museum— these are all worth seeing, and also indulge into Saturday wine tasting at La Dernière Goutte.

simi valley, ca
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

We will be going to Paris in October, a first stay for my daughter and myself, in an apartment in the 7th. I plan to do the same thing on arrival day as I do on the many trips I have made to Rome.

Unpack, freshen up and head out for a walk around the neighborhood, picking up a few postcards and finding a tobacco shop to buy stamps, and bus/metro tickets. I'm not sure they sell those at tobacco shops in Paris, if not, the closest metro station to buy a 10 pack of tickets.

A light lunch somewhere and then a visit to the nearest market to pick up breakfast items, snacks and drinks for the apartment.

I hope we can find an outside table at a nearby place for a before dinner drink, hopefully one we are comfortable enough to visit every one of our 8 evenings in Paris.

Then, an early dinner at a restaurant we reserved before leaving Los Angeles. If we are still up to it, a leisurely stroll before hitting the apartment for a good night's sleep.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,098 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

We stay in the 6th and our first day tradition is to walk to the Ile de la Cite and along the left bank side of Notre Dame, then across to the Ile St. Louis. From there we head to the Marais to a restaurant, Robert et Louise, where we have breakfast. They open at noon but serve a great mushroom omelet with a small salad and frites. We begin with a noisette but end with a glass of wine to celabrate a our return to Paris.

We usually take another route back so that we can see the fountain at the Place St. Michel and wander around the rue Hulchette back to the Blvd. St. Germain and our hotel.

Pjk

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

I like to explore the neighborhood. Find a lovely pastry. Walk some more. Find dinner somewhere unplanned. Walk some more. :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favorite thing to do on First Day

Staying in an apartment, I would first head to get some groceries - wine, cheese, yogurt, etc... and maybe pick up some fresh flowers. As you explore the neighborhood you can see what restaurants are nearby, etc...

Again, it would be helpful to know where in the 11th you're staying. Are you near the Bastille, Metro Voltaire, or Republic? Some of us can provide more specific recommendations with this information.