We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 3 days in Paris?

Greendale, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 3 days in Paris?

We are planning a post-cruise in Paris. We will be arriving late Saturday afternoon and leaving the following Tuesday morning. We are planning to visit the Eiffel Tower and the surrounding area late Saturday afternoon and evening. Sunday we plan to first visit the Orsay Museum, followed by the Louvre and a nearby restaurant for lunch, and then a trip to Versailles to see the Chateau and the Gardens and a dinner afterward. Monday we plan to take the Historic Paris Walk including the Notre-Dame Cathedral and Saint Chapelle with lunch in the area before heading to the Champs-Elysees area including the Arc de Triomphe for the afternoon. Then we plan to have dinner at a fine French restaurant near our hotel before calling it quits. What would you suggest that we add or delete to this tight schedule? We are senior citizens that are still in pretty good shape.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

I would say that this seems nearly impossible:

"Sunday we plan to first visit the Orsay Museum, followed by the Louvre and a nearby restaurant for lunch, and then a trip to Versailles to see the Chateau and the Gardens and a dinner afterward. "

The Orsay is fairly large, and the Louvre is huge. There would not be a great way to see them both in one day. Either you would power-walk through parts of them (so what's the point?), or you would spend at least a short time in each (2 hours in Orsay, and 2 and a half in Louvre?) in order to see some of the "major" draws. (So if you spend this amount of time, it obviously can't be completed by lunch time.)

Versailles requires a short train trip outside Paris, and it's a vast Palace that, again, requires time. After having seen both the Orsay and Louvre (which, remember, is also a palace), I can't imagine heading out to Versailles. If you are going at high or even mid-season, there will also be very large crowds at Versailles by this time of day.

Honestly, this would be "the great race" from one stop to another, even if you could power through each one in a couple of hours.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,896 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

From one senior to another - I would never attempt that itinerary even if I was fit enough to do an Ironman race. Slow down and smell the coffee. Paris is a city for strollers not runners........

If you really need to see Versailles the best plan is to be there between 8-9 am with ticket in hand so you can avoid the 10-11 am rush in the chateau. Then rent a golf cart for the garden route that takes you to Trianon. and on the way back stop to see Eiffel tower. the RER stop is Champs de Mars -ET station.

+ it is best to start you walk at Arc de Triomphe it is downhill to get to the Jardin de Tuileries and the Louvre courtyard. but first a small detour to Palais Royal gardens and a peak inside Vefour. after the louvre courtyard walk along the Quai Mégisserie to see the landcape stores before you stroll thru the bird market find your way to Notre Dame. https://goo.gl/maps/mg5mq

Edited: 17 May 2014, 03:43
3. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2017, 06:00
Edited: 20 November 2017, 06:00
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

Good luck getting a golf cart at Versailles if you're there in July. The line appeared to be about two hours long when I visited!!

Seriously, you don't have time for Versailles.

Saturday sounds fine.

Sunday morning, start at the Musee d'Orsay. Then take the RER to St Michel metro stop and wander around Saint Germain for a bit. Perhaps have lunch at a famous literary cafe like Les Deux Magots (see if you can find Hemingway's seat inside). Or any of a number of charming cafes would be great for lunch. Get an eclair at Un Dimanche a Paris. Then wander around to Notre Dame and St Chapelle.

On Monday I would visit the Arc de Triomphe first thing. Then take a glimpse at the Champs Elysees (ick - mall stores like Nike and Gap) and take the metro to Tuileries. Visit the Orangerie museum if you are at all interested in Monet. Then walk through the gardens to the Louvre.

Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

I to am staying same days as you and it has been hard to maximise our visit within 3 days mid June.

We're staying in 15th, about 10-15 min walk to Eiffel Tower. Since we won't check in till about 2pm Sat we've decided to walk around hotel & Eiffel Tower surrounds then dinner at a TA recommended restaurant Le Volant. Sunday we have booked an all day tour via Viator website titled 'Best of Paris Tour Including Versailles and Lunch at the Eiffel Tower'. It also includes cruise and dinner on the Seine. They and other tour companies will have similar tours which can cover most and all sorts of attractions that should tick most off your list in one full on day. For Monday we plan to visit the local sites that we may have missed or wish to revisit before departing for Dubai Tuesday morning. This is our first visit to Paris and doing most sites in a set tour offers me peace of mind.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,472 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

Your Sunday schedule is impossible. Choose one Museum. If it's the Louvre have a late lunch at Marriage .Freres in the Marais. It's a beautiful room and the menu is wonderful. Walk along the Seine and explore the left Bank. Later in the afternoon rest your tired legs with a nice glass of Champagne at Les Deux Magots, a great place to people watch but not to eat anything beyond an omelet washed down by some wine,

pensacola
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

cbaarch

Thats a nice map, did you create that day or is it from somewhere? Are there others?

Torbay
Level Contributor
115 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

That is a cool map, interested to know if there are others.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

You can make your own custom map using Google maps. I believe you need to have or create a Google login to save them.

google.com/earth/…custommaps.html

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in 3 days in Paris?

Maps aside, the schedule is impossible. You don't have time for Versailles, and it's sheer madness to do the Musée d'Orsay and the Louvre on the same day. You could easily ditch the Champs Elysées also, as it's nothing more than a wide avenue with box stores and car dealerships. Why not just slow down and savor Paris?