We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Hi

I will be in Paris on 23rd to 25th afternoon and I am excited to visit these four places

1) The Eiffel Tower

2) The Catacombs of Paris

3) Musee du Louvre

4) Palace of Versailles

I need help in connecting these places because I just have 2 days roughly to cover these and should plan morning and evening in such a way that i cover all the four. I am also looking to stay in a place where i can connect to the transportation easily.

Any input is of a great help

Cheers

Deepika

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,457 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/visiting-paris/

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,457 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Ack, sorry, didn't mean to hit "post" right away.

Versailles is not in Paris - and it will take most of an entire day. How badly do you want to see it? It means there will be a number of other things you can't see that day. Otherwise, choosing one morning for the catacombs, one afternoon for the Louvre is sensible. If you must do Versailles, you could probably visit the eiffel tower on your way back into town - but warning, you'll be exhausted. Versailles is much larger than NYC's central park. It's 25.87 square miles!!

If connecting to transportation easily is your biggest requirement, then Chatelet Les Halles is the major metro hub in the city. It wouldn't be my first choice for a hotel.

IMHO the Paris metro is more sensibly laid out than the NYC subway. Most people seem to like the 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissments for a first visit. Are you young and looking for nightlife in the evening? The 4th might be the most fun. Older and looking for lively cafe and restaurant scene? Maybe the 6th.

Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

thank you for your reply. This is of great information to me :)

I am travelling with my husband and we are not even 30 now so night life is preferable :)

If not Versailles what do you think would be the next place we cannot miss in Paris?

I am hoping Catacombs and louvre are must visit places. looking at the maps i guess Eiffel tower, cantacombs and louvre are nearby

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by nearby. Paris is not huge especially when compared to someplace like New York City but the Eiffel Tower is not near the Louvre. It is about a 45 minute walk and probably 20 minutes using mass transit. Same thing for the Louvre to the Catacombs. I have never been to the Catacombs but I have heard that the line can be long so arriving early is key. Getting all your must sees done in the time you have will be tough with waiting times. When you leave on the 25th is it by train or by airplane and what time? Will you be flying in from the US? You could try doing the Louvre on arrival day, Versailles and the EIffel Tower during the middle day and the Catacombs early in the morning depending on your departure time and whether you have to get to an airport or a trains station. Wow, I am exhausted thinking about doing all of that but I am not as young as you are.

Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes, I will be flying in from US and reaching Paris on 23rd afternoon.

25th eve we will moving to Nice by train.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,457 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Well I have been to Paris three times and haven't seen the Catacombs yet.

Most people feel the need to see the Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elysees (really, it's a street that has most of the same shops a big mall would have - Gap, Nike, Starbucks, Swatch, etc etc)

The Galleries Lafayette department store is pretty jaw-droppingly gorgeous and they have a lovely patio on top with views of Paris. I really like to go there.

Notre Dame Cathedral is pretty fabulous as well. I loved climbing the towers.

There's a few links to the right of your question with more proposed itineraries.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

To each his or her own, but I have been to Paris 7 times on vacation, including once for a month and have never been to the Catacombs, but it may be your top priority and if so, do it the morning of the middle day and then head to Versailles if that is still on your agenda. It will be a full day. Usually, I would encourage someone to stay outside for the first activity after arriving on a Transatlantic flight so the Louvre on the first day would not be a great idea -- maybe ET instead. But the good news is that you are taking a train from Paris and the stations are in central Paris and you do not have to arrive as far ahead of departure time as would for a flight. Depending on when you leave, you could save the Louvre for the last day. Last summer, my brother and his wife did that and then hopped on Metro Line 1 to Gare de Lyon where they picked up their luggage and headed to CDG.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

It really does matter more about what YOU want to see and not a 'must see' check list from a guidebook or online.

I have been to Paris a bit over a dozen times and I have never been to the Catacombs. My stays have been from 5 to 8 days. I prefer visting the City and being above ground.

Visiting Versailles has also never interested me. I have no desire to see inside the Palace. But I do have a desire to visit the grounds and the Petit Trianon, Hameau but haven't made it because I've not wanted to take the time to leave Paris.

BUT, if those are things you really, really want to do that's different.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,780 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

Many first time visitors to Paris really don´t know what they might want to see. They read what others suggest or what sounds interesting. I have been to all of the places on Deepscorpion´s list, many times.

However, for a stay of two days, I would include the Eiffel Tower, but as a museum I prefer Musée d´Orsay to le Louvre, would definitely pass on the Catacombes, and spending a day to visit Versailles takes away too much from Paris itself. I would not miss taking a boat ride down the Seine, the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Élysées, Place de la Concorde and les Tuileries, Notre Dame, walking into le Printemps and enjoying the stain glass dome, taking the funicular up to the Sacre Cœur and at least walking past l´Opéra Garnier.

All of this could be done in two days, a week would be better. Of course it´s all a matter of personal interest. What makes Paris so wonderful is that there is no shortage of fascinating things to see and to do.

Jersey City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How can I connect these places in Paris by public transport

i have finally got clarity and thanks everyone for your valuable inputs :)