We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

Hi everyone,

Just checking we can do what we have planned and apologies if you think I have posted this on the wrong site.

We are leaving Narbonne about 8.30am, from our Barge, for a flight from Montpellier at 11.05am to Orly landing 12.25pm. We collect our Hire car and head towards Caen. We have a rented house to check into Courseulles-sur-mer at Omaha Beach. We need to be there by about 4pm and I am assuming it will take us about 1 hour to collect luggage at Orly and be in car so departing Orly 1.30pm approx.

We then need to drive back towards Caen for the Opening Ceremony of WEG 2014, but wanted to drop our luggage at our house first rather than leaving it in the car in carpark.

Is this the quickest way?

Thanks, Lozzie64

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

You can probably leave your boat by 08h30 but there are check out formalities which can take some time. How do you plan on reaching the Montpellier airport sufficiently early to make a 11:05 departure?

If your flight to ORY arrives on time, I should think that baggage claim then proceeding to the rental car pickup should take about 1 hour. It´s no less than 3 hours by car to Courseulles sur Mer from ORY (assuming no traffic and you know the route). To make it by 4pm would take luck more than anything else. I don´t see how you could possibly make it any sooner than 4:30 to 5pm.

There are a lot of ways that this itinerary could go wrong and you just have not allowed time for the numerous unknowns.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

Thanks Sarastro,

We are looking into some ways to try and make things a bit smoother. Like early departure off barge and transport to Toulouse Airport rather than Montpellier for a 9.55am flight to CDG. Then we might catch the train to Caen and collect the hire car there. Otherwise still drive from CDG to Cour se Mer?

Regards,

Lozzie64

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

It´s a two hour drive from Narbonne to the airport at Toulouse. You would need to depart Narbonne by 07h00 to even have a chance of making a 9h55 Toulouse departure. I can see no way to make either an early in the day departure from Toulouse or Montpellier. And to drive from CDG will not be any easier than driving from ORY as you will need A13 to reach Caen and A13 departs from the southwest corner of the périphérique making an ORY start probably a lot easier than a CDG start.

The only way I can see that you´ll ever make Courseulles-sur-mer by 16h00 would be for you to turn your boat in one day early and travel toward one of the airports for an early departure the next day.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

Thanks Sarastro, This is all great information.

One of the problems is there are only really early flights from Montellier or our 11.05 one. We booked to go to Orly as TA readers said it was an easier drive from Orly than CDG???

Our goal is to get to the Opening Ceremony for the World Equestrian Games that evening in Caen starting at 8.30 and we wanted to drop our luggage at our house on Juno Beach first and settle in just for an hour or so. Having read all your info I think we need to either leave our arrangements as they are or get off the boat Friday afternoon and get to Montpellier that evening. Then have our flights changed to the earlier flight.

We have other friends that are catching a 6am train out of Narbonne to Paris with changes, then another train to Caen where they will collect their hire car. I don't think they are due into Caen till 4ish.

When we booked our Barge some year and a half ago when the early bird specials were on the Opening Ceremony was scheduled for the Sunday night, they have since changed it to the Saturday night, so this is why we have ended up in this situation.

Regards, Lozzie64

5. Re: Travelling from Canal du Midi, through Paris to Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16