We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

We are a group of friends that have rented three apartments for a 4 night stay in Paris this November. They are located at 12 rue Malar in the 7th arrondissement and two of them have gourmet kitchens.

We do plan to take advantage of the local markets for a few meals and then dine out as well.

I am looking for recommendations for the following:

- Wine store with good selection and prices

- Fromagerie

- Boulangerie

I believe there is a Monoprix in this area to purchase the basics. Is this correct?

I am interested in bistros within a 30 minute walk or quick metro stop where we can eat well without breaking the bank. Fixed price menus of 16-10E lunch and 25-30E dinner would be ideal.

Also interested in a great steak tartare in the area and my husband a daily fix of creme brulee.

Suggestions appreciated!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
504 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
630 Reviews
from US$73.80*
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,496 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

The cost of a meal here will depend on the amount of wine you order,but take a look at Septieme Vin ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d1…

You should definitely make a reservation if you intend to go.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,534 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

I stayed a few blocks from there last year, on Rue de Grenelle.

Boulangerie: There are two reasonably nearby that I am familiar with. While Les Gourmandises d'Eiffel on (about) 187 Rue de Grenelle advertises that they were a top 10 finalist one year in the Paris best baguette competition, I wasn't fond of their baguette. I did enjoy their pastries very much.

There is a boulangerie on the corner of Rue Cler and Rue du Champ de Mars that had our favorite baguette. It was a multigrain baguette studded with pistachios. It was fabulous.

Fromagerie: The famous shop of Marie Ann Cantin is on Rue du Champ de Mars. It's tiny, expensive and gorgeous. There is another good fromagerie on Rue de Grenelle. There are two boucheries on Rue de Grenelle as well.

People diss Rue Cler, but I thought it as fine for a market street. I'm not sure I'd eat at any of the cafes, because they looked like tourist traps. But the deli Davoli had some great takeout food. There was a fish market, a flower shop, a fruit and vegetable stand, a cell phone shop, a housewares shop and a few other interesting things.

Groceries: There's no Monoprix walking distance. There was a Franprix and a Leader Price supermarket on Rue Cler, as well as a few other Franprix scattered about the area (two near the Ecole Militaire stop). There's also a G20 supermarket on Rue St Dominique, which might be a little closer to you. There was also a nice epicerie on Rue de Grenelle at about 191.

Wine: There was a wine store (Nicolas chain) on the corner of Rue de Grenelle and Avenue Bosquet, and there was one on Rue Cler as well. The selection was fine. Wine is also sold in the grocery stores.

So there may well be similar things on your street, but I do know for sure there's good stuff not too far away. Enjoy!

Edited: 20 May 2014, 16:56
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

Great info and thank you!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

If you are looking for a street market, there is one across the river on Avenue du President Wilson, I just don't remember the two days that it is setup.

We enjoy eating at Le Petit Cler on rue Cler, the prices are reasonable, 12-15 euros for a plat, salads were around 10 euros.

There is a Franprix and a Carrefour Cite near you on rue St. Dominique for groceries.

Level Contributor
3,628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

That's a good food neighborhood. One of my favorite bistros is in the rue Malar: Chez L'Ami Jean. The Christian Constant restaurants are in the rue Saint-Dominique, very near your apt (Café Constant, Les Cocottes, Violon d'Ingres). The rue Cler is a perfectly good shopping street, as others have said. Marie-Anne Cantin is one of the best fromager in the city, imho. And there are other good bistros tucked away in that neighborhood.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 18:12
6. Re: Recommendations in/near the 7th Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 07:16