We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TER Train e-ticket question

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TER Train e-ticket question

HI,

Can I purchase the e-ticket from Mantes la Jolle to Vernon online and use weekly Navigo zone 1-5 pass from Paris to Mante la Jolle?

Do I need to validate the e-ticket? If not, can I just continue my trip to Vernon without getting off at Mantes la Jolle?

Thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
488 reviews
from US$73.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$110.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$52.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

There is no point in trying to buy TER tickets in advance online. These trains have no seat reservations and no discounts. Buy in Paris.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

I just tried and the answer is no, they don't propose e-tickets. Only tickets to withdraw at the station.

Even if e-tickets were available on that route, you wouldn't be able to use your navigo on the TER or Intercités train between Paris and Mantes. The navigo is only valid on the transilien suburban train from Paris to Mantes and then you must change trains and take another train from Mantes to Vernon.The problem with that is that you would waste time as you must time your suburban train and TER or Intercités train so that you don't have to wait too long between trains nor have too short of a connection so that you don't have time to get your second train ticket.

Someone had recently asked a similar question to maximize her navigo and I had found trains that would work but it's still a risk. If you miss the train to Vernon, then it's an hour's wait or more till the next train.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 20:49
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

Thanks Mrs_French_Mystique.

If I buy this segment (Mantes to Vernon) train ticket online (the same train # that leaves from Paris that stops at Mantes), can I pick up this physical ticket at any Paris train station? Is it an easy pickup process (has anyone done the pickup before?)

Can I validate this ticket when I board at Station St. Lazard?

Thanks!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

I tried e-tickets again for that route yesterday and they were available this time. Maybe it depends on the date.

Otherwise, yes, you can pick up the tickets at any station but I don't know if you can validate them in Paris or not. But e-tickets seem to be available now so I would try that first.

Just remember that you can't use your navigo on the TER and you must change trains at Mantes la Jolie. Did you find a schedule with trains that would work for you?

Edited: 23 May 2014, 11:02
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

Thanks Mrs_French_Mystique!

I'm planning to take the 8:20AM train (Intercités 13103), which is the same train that arrives Mantes at 8:52AM that will arrive Vernon at 9:09AM.

If I'm able to get the e-ticket for my date (and since no validation is needed for e-ticket), and it is the same train, then I don't need to get off and re-board, correct?

Also, what is the date that you tried to get the e-ticket??

Edited: 23 May 2014, 18:14
Versailles, France
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

Sorry for my poor English, but I have to correct what has been said.

In fact, you have the right to take a TER or an intercity with a navigo pass, but only in class 2, for a ride entirely in Ile-De-France.

But you cannot combine this ride with another ride. So, you have to get off the train, punch your ticket, and get on the train. It’s doable, but you don’t have a lot of time.

For people who speak French, this is a link to the conditions of sale of the navigo pass : ratp.fr/fr/…cgu_passe_navigo.pdf

Edited: 23 May 2014, 18:42
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

ChrisCran,

Thanks for the tip on the 2nd class. Your explanation is very clear and your English sounds great to me, but then I'm not a native speaker either ;-) My husband told me yesterday that the navigo could be used for TER / Intercité trains for routes entirely within the Ile de France but since it didn't apply to this route I didn't amend my post so as not to cause confusion.

Apple,

I made a mistake earlier when I said that I had found e-tickets. I now remember the e-tickets I found were for the Paris - Vernon route and not Mantes - Vernon. I think the reason they don't have e-tickets on that small segment is precisely because, as I and ChrisCan explained, you cannot complement a navigo with a TER / Intercité ticket beyond zone 5 on the same train. But if you buy a regular ticket, I wonder if you would have time to hop off the train, punch the ticket and hop back on?

ChrisCan, do you know if the composting machine is on the platform at Mantes or inside the station? And how long the train stops at Mantes for? Does it seem feasible to you?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

See reply #2, especially this sentence: "you wouldn't be able to use your navigo on the TER or Intercités train between Paris and Mantes".

Versailles, France
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

sorry but the reply 2 is not totally correct. It is possible to use à TER or an Intercité in 2nd class if the route is entirely in Ile-De-France. Below a full translation (by google) of the article 1.2 of the link i have given.

I don't know the station of Mantes. But generally, there is always at least one or two composting machine on each platform. Be prepared to waiting for the next train...

Navigo 1.2 Month and Week Navigo passes may be used on lines

regular transit where applicable pricing set by the STIF - including Orlybus,

Roissy, Noctilien Orlyrail, Filéo, some local services and some transport demand,

TER or Intercity trains - to make full course located in Île-de-France. are

excluded Orlyval and TGV.

In all characterized the preceding paragraph, a month or Navigo pass Navigo

Week is valid:

- For any journey made ​​within the selected tariff zones by the holder or the entire

region during periods of "rezoning" for receiving this benefit packages.

- Provided that the holder has validated when entering the network (for the train, RER, metro

or express trams), or when it mounted in the vehicle (for buses and trams in the city).

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TER Train e-ticket question

Here are some options that would work:

Transilien Paris 7:23 - Mantes 8:21 + Intercités Mantes 8:52 - Vernon 9:09

Intercités Paris 8:18 - Mantes 8:50 + Intercités Mantes 8:52 - Vernon 9:09

The second option means you get off the train, have 2 minutes to punch your ticket and get on the same train again. So if this schedule is to be trusted it means that the trains stop at Mantes for 2 minutes. The problem is if the 2 minutes are not enough and you miss the train to Vernon, then it's a 2-hour wait till the next train :-/

horairetrain.net/horaires-parissaintlazare-m…

horairetrain.net/horaires-manteslajolie-vern…