We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

Hi we arriving in Gare du Nord and have only 45min to transfer to Gare du Lyon, no time to find my way around with two children. Can you please help me , what to look for and boarding platforms, do I have to validate my tickets? I speak no French and I will be panicking trying not to miss the train.

I am already worried about the transfer so please any tips to speed up the process would be very much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

You have plenty of time. At Gare du Nord, look for the signs for taxis and take a taxi to Gare de Lyon. At Gare de Lyon, there is a huge departure screen showing trains with time of departure, train number, final destination, and the platform (quai) that will be used. The platform will not be shown until about 20 minutes before departure time.

If you have print-at-home e-tickets, they do not need validation. If you have tickets issued by SNCF (about the same size as a standard airline boarding pass), these need validation.

There is no need for you to try to speak French. Signs are in French and English.

Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

Thank you sounds reassuring:)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

It depends hugely on what date and time you are arriving. You may be better taking the RER at some times rather than others. As an example of journey times - station to station at midday on a Friday is estimated at being 16 minutes by the public transport (according to the RATP website) and 24 minutes by taxi (mappy). But that is for the RER stations. You have to allow time to get to and from the intercity platforms to the RER platforms and the taxi rank, and queue at the taxi rank (depending on arrival date and times again). And also on the ages of your children, and how much help they will need or provide. When do you arrive exactly?

As the PP says, if you have print at home tickets, there is no need to validate. If you have cardboard tickets, then you do need to validate them.

When you arrive at Gare de Lyon, there are several Halls, so make sure you are heading for the correct hall, by checking the screens. I think there are three halls. I seem to remember the Marseille trains leave from Hall 2 usually, but of course you need to check.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 12:36
Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

I would take RER line D rather than a taxi. On one occasion I waited 40 minutes in line for a taxi at Gare du Nord. The RER takes about 10 minutes. You may be able to buy métro tickets (ticket t+ valid on Métro & RER within Paris) at the bar on your first train to save you time at machines in Gare du Nord.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

Yes, no worries, it takes 10 minutes between the 2 stations so about 20 minutes total including walking and waiting time. It means you will arrive at the train station when they announce the platform on the information board.

Either RER D south but even though it is direct, it doesn't run very frequently and may incur a 15-minute wait.

Or RER B south + RER A east via Châtelet-les-Halles. The transfer at Châtelet-les-Halles couldn't be easier, you just walk across the platform and take the next train. These RER lines run every few minutes.

To minimize stress, if your first train is the Eurostar, just buy métro tickets in London or on the train so you don't waste time buying tickets in Paris.

Also, on the RER, if you have luggage and children, do not use the turnstiles, use the glass side doors, it will be easier.

If you tell us the date and time your train arrives at Gare du Nord, we can give you the schedules of RERs just to reassure you and show you how quick it is. Or you can use the transilien.com website to see for yourself.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 12:57
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

The departure board at Gare de Lyon will show the necessary information 20 minutes before departure -- it will show which hall before then, but you still have to wait for the platform number to appear.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

If you are travelling to Gare du Nord on Eurostar, you can buy your metro tickets, which include the RER line between the two stations in Paris, either at St Pancras at the Information Desk in the departure area or from the buffet bar on the train. This will be one less thing to worry about on getting to Paris and there is rarely a queue at St Pancras where of course English is spoken and they take sterling.

Be prepared to get off the Eurostar when it draws into Gare du Nord. This can make a significant time saving particularly if you are near the back of the train as walk down the platform can take several minutes.

To get to the RER platform you need to turn left to the far end of the concourse and then follow the signs. Remember to hang on to the tickets after you have got through the gates until you have got through the system at Gare de Lyon.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

If the OP has not already bought her tickets, a much easier transfer than from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon in Paris is to change at Lille onto one of the Lille-Marseille TGVs.

You don't even have to leave Lille station. There are four Eurostars per day that make this connection. With two kids in tow and unfamiliar with Paris that's what I'd be doing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

Sorry for tagging onto this post. I would be going from Paris to Lourdes on 1st Oct. I will arrive in CDG on 1st at around 835am, would it be wise to take the 1200 noon TGV or the 1400 TGV, both are from montparnasse . Secondly what is the best way to go from CDG to montparnasse, I have 2 children with me. I hold a first Class ticket hence is the boarding process different.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP board TGV to Marseille from Gare du Lyon

You need to allow a minimum of 4 hours between scheduled arrival at CDG and the departure of a train from a station in central Paris, so book the 14.00 TGV. However, if you already have a ticket, it will be valid on only the specified train.

There is no difference between first and second class, except that first has a bit more space. First class is generally regarded as a waste of money.

Air France runs buses from CDG to Gare Montparnasse, or you could take a taxi.