We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing meals

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Sharing meals

What do the French think about sharing meals? My wife and I typically share a soup, salad, and dessert plus our own entrees. Is it considered "bad form" in France to share dishes?

Merci

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing meals

If you're each getting your oen main, no worries! You can also each get a starter, then sharre a main, that would be ok, too! But in France, potion sizes are very different, so you may not want to share, which is ok, too.

Edited: 24 May 2014, 13:35
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing meals

Noooooo. That's big faux pas.

Portions in France are for one person, unless like in US. You won't have problem to finish it.

Don't order too much for one meal.

London
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharing meals

You share soup?!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing meals

What do you mean by "sharing"?

If you mean tasting each other's dishes then no problem.

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing meals

I will usually eat half my salad then give my wife the other half. Same with the soup and dessert. We try to get different entrees and share that too.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharing meals

No one will be bothered. Enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharing meals

As long as the other party orders something on his/her own and you are not both sharing one 3 course menu. Keep in mind that the portions are not "super sized" and the food is delicious.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,034 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharing meals

Plate switching is little gauche but sharing a pate with bread is pretty commonly done.

Remember in France an 'entree' is the appetizer; the plat if the main course.

I sometimes get the plat/dessert menu and my husband the entree/plat menu and we share a taste -- but I would feel a bit of a clod passing the plate back and forth. It does come across as mingy especially since French servings are not enormous most places.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharing meals

There are places, such as Josephine Chez Dumonet, where you can share anything. Sharing desserts is never a problem. However, in most restaurants I would probably not share a starter (entrée) and I would never share a main course (plat).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharing meals

Janet's suggestion to order opposite 2-course meals is excellent. Often the server will automatically bring an extra fork or spoon when a course is ordered by only one diner.