We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline options

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
Airline options

My husband and I are flying from Denver to Paris in March 2015 with our five year old daughter. Icelandair seems to be the cheapest, but I am worried about the trip being comfortable for my daughter and 6'2" husband. This is my daughter's first overseas trip. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you!

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline options

Hello

You may have more answers on air travel forum.

best regards.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline options

From what I hear, Iceland Air is uncomfortable, bare bones, budget air travel. Your five year old might be okay, but your husband will be pretty uncomfortable. I've decided against using them myself, based on reviews.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline options

Well doesn't matter what airline u go on,,the trip is long and boring for a child that age, however seat size won't bother her! However yr husband will of course find economy seats very cramped,,on almost any airline(my ex was 6'4)so I would look and compare prices for a premium economy seat on any airline, they not Mich nicer then ec. But as a rule they offer a few more inches of legroom.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline options

If it's within your budget, I would agree with Joan to look at premium economy. Many airlines that fly to France offer PE service.

IcelandAir will get you where you're going, but without any frills whatsoever. In fact, I would urge you to bring a sandwich with you if you fly with them. If I remember correctly, all you get is a bottle of water.

Linthicum, MD
Level Contributor
526 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline options

If you were going in the summer, Icelandair would almost definitely be the cheapest. Other airlines charge their highest fares in the summer, because they can. No, Icelandair doesn't give you so much as a sandwich, which I still find hard to believe. The domestic airlines are the next step up in service. There's not much difference between United out of Dulles, USAir out of Philly, etc. Air France out of JFK still gives you a hot meal and free alcohol, which is almost unheard of these days. I'm assuming you'll change at an East coast gateway. In March, most of the major airlines will be running some kind of shoulder-season fare special. Keep checking the fares, and book when you find a fare you can live with. I wouldn't go with Icelandair again unless I stood to save many hundreds of dollars. In March, I don't think it will be necessary.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline options

I booked fairly last minute flights to Belgium in March of this year. They were just under $1000 each, from Albany to Amsterdam then Belgium to Albany. Albany flights are usually pretty expensive and Albany to Paris in August would be $1700 each. ETA that was Delta/Airfrance/KLM - not a budget carrier.

By about November, you'll see great fares for March.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 00:27
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline options

my husband is same hight and an aisle seat is a must -- though his legs are too long for any economy seats, it does help

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline options

Use www.seatguru.com to read about the seats before you book.

B.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline options

If you're flying from Denver - I would take United and purchase economy plus. I always do and it's nice to have the extra space. I have a 2 year old and she wanted to stand constantly. The extra room helped.

You need entertainment - so invest in an iPad or some other tablet if you don't have them. Purchase some new toys or games for your daughter and don't open them until the flight - stretch it out and open one at a time. Lastly, if you can try and book a late evening flight so she'll sleep.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 05:02
10. Re: Airline options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16