We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
514 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

On Tuesday, 05/20th, we stopped at Cafe les Editeurs @ 11:45 and sat at the outdoor cafe seating area. A waiter approached us and said "bonjour .....something to eat/something to drink"? We replied "bonjour, 2 cafe creama, sil vous plait, & we're not sure what else we want". He returned with our coffees, and then we said we WOULD like to order some food. We were curtly informed "the kitchen is closed". Exactly 7 minutes later @ 11:52, another American couple was seated next to us & were offered a menu and brought food by the SAME waiter!? Not wanting to cause a problem (& ruin our last moments / memories of Paris) we paid for our coffees (incidentally 9.80 euros for 2 cafe cream as!) and left. We ASSUME our waiter was just an impatient jerk .......? I would also like to state that we were treated with patience & courtesy in almost all other occasions. Thank you in advance for your input.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

Was your table set with a place mat and flatware? The only thing I can think of is that he got in a snit if you sat at a table that was set for diners and then only ordered coffee.

OR....it could be he was just got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

Could it be possible that the kitchen really was closed and the other couple had ordered something cold, eg a sandwich?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

My thought is that you sat at a table that was set for people to dine. Placemat & silveware. Then when you only ordered drinks he was peeved. And then when you said that you wanted to order food he was just being ornery and telling you the kitchen was closed. Which was just that, ornery.

If that's not the reason then I don't know.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

crema is Italian ..in French it is café crème

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

The prices you paid were average, if you sat outside. It would have cost less if you had sat inside.

If the table had been set for food service, you would have been expected to order something.

It sounds as if you got caught between breakfast and lunch service - which can be a touchy area, since there's nothing much left for breakfast and lunch isn't ready yet - and the waiter was unreasonably cranky about it. I think it was a good idea to go spend your money elsewhere. Not sure if the restaurant's watch was synched with yours...

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

I have no doubt that those tables were set up for lunch at that time as that café gets a full lunch crowd. Most cafés have their place settings on their terrace tables well before noon. The waiter may not have understood what you said about perhaps ordering something else unless you said that in French. Asking for café crema may have put him over the top :-)

7. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2016, 14:08
Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
514 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

No, I had read about the table settings & what it meant here on TA. Every-other table was set with glassware, utensils, & placemats. We chose a table that did NOT have the obvious lunch settings. We WERE offered food first off, but mentioned we didn't know what we wanted yet (& wanted a moment to view the menu). When the waiter came back, we stated we would like to order some food ...... French toast. I would think the polite thing to do as a waiter, would be to tell us cooked items were not available but offer a few items that were. But, I think you're on to something here, as the couple next to us ordered a cold plate (cheeses, etc.). We might have done the same if we had known salad plates/etc. were available. Perhaps the waiter was not inclined to deal with our lack of French language skills as well?

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

From your last post it makes sense : kitchen being closed means you'll get nothing hot anymore, by asking you can have something cold easily.

Nevertheless you're right, the waiter is a jerk. Happens. Also to frenchspeaking. din't bother, hope you had a great time in Paris !

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Did we offend the waiter somehow/what happened?

Difficult to really say but unfortunately there is a high possibility of meeting this type if person in Paris.

Even after nearly 25 years here it still shocks me.

You just haveto move on ......or write a reviewhere on TA!