We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

What day(s) and time(s) are generally best (meaning smallest crowds/lines) to visit either the Louvre or the Musee d'Orsay?

I've read that its best to visit on days with extended hours (Louvre - Wed and Fri nights; d'Orsay - Thurs nights), but am wondering if the difference in crowds is negligible.

Linthicum, MD
Level Contributor
624 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

I have found the difference in crowds to be quite pronounced. The tour groups (and many individual tourists) seem to appear in droves before the doors open, and throughout the midday period. I have gone to the Orsay on Thursday evening and it was practically deserted, although it was in the spring. The Louvre is less crowded in the evening, although the difference is not so obvious, especially in summer. The only downside to visiting the Louvre in the evening is that you really have to give yourself an easy day, or else you turn up at the Louvre exhausted already.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

hi

what time of year are you visiting as it does make a difference.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

I'm going in may this time next year.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

I will be in Paris next week for one week.

I will be there on the first Sunday of the month when most museums are free, but will avoid the major museums for fear they will be packed.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 03:34
paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

May is already extremely busy. Go in the evening : Louvre wednesday and Friday, Orsay Thursday, even though even in May Orsay is always more manageable than the Louvre

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

In December when is the best time to look around these museums?

Cachan, France
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

Cawston22, December is also extremely busy, so the evenings with extended hours would be the way to go.

Bury, England...
Level Contributor
199 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

night at the louvre, morning for musee d'orsay worked best for us

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

We got to the Orsay before it opened, were the first inside, trotted to the end of the hall, rode the escalator up to the Impressionist rooms, and had it all to ourselves for almost an hour.

For the Louvre, the evening hours are least crowded and most atmospheric--especially the Egyptian collections.

10. Re: Best Time/Day to Visit the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:16