We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frustrated with Orange SIM card

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Topic
Frustrated with Orange SIM card

My daughter is in Paris and purchased an Orange SIM card for her iPhone 2 days ago. The texting to USA feature is not working. I called the Orange store 91 Rue de Rennes to ask how to get this fixed. I was told by a polite English speaking sales rep that it can only be fixed by going to the Orange store at 128 Rue de Rennes which has technical services. She said there is no way to contact tech service over the phone and this store closes at 6pm.

Is there any other way to get this fixed?

I'm used to Verizon customer services where we can speak to a tech rep 24/7 over the phone and get tech issues resolved quickly!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

Welcome to France!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

This isn't exactly a crisis. In this day and age she has numerous options for communicating with the USA besides texting. Is there a problem with her going to the store during its opening hours? What you're used to is irrelevant.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

In the USA if I were dealing with a similar issue with Verizon I would request a refund or request that more talk time be added to my account for the inconvenience. Verizon would likely happily agree. Is this at all a possibility in France?

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

No it's not a crisis.

We bought this plan primarily for the texting as it's the most convenient way to communicate with those of us back in the USA who do not have smart phones. It was the primary reason we bought this plan. She should have checked this feature before leaving the store but didn't.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to contact an Orange tech rep via phone

Edited: 27 May 2014, 16:29
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

If they said that she needs to go to the store - then that's what she needs to do. Things work differently in France. If you want Verizon-type service than you should have added their expensive International plan to her phone (the cost of which helps offset the type of service you are expecting). Instead you choose a French provider - and with it comes French "customer service".

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

I am asking these questions on TA because I don't feel confidant that the Orange sales rep was providing complete info. Here are my questions for TA members experienced in dealing with Orange tech reps:

1. Can an Orange tech rep be contacted on the phone. If so, what is the phone number?

2. Is it reasonable to request some compensation for the inconvenience?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

What some service provider does on a foreign country will have absolutely no relevance in France. Do not expect companies here to offer small commercial jests simply because you are unhappy.

Further, you have been given an answer and it is not quite yet 6pm in France. Did you daughter actually go to the Orange store at 128 rue de Rennes? If she hasn´t then that´s exactly what she should do tomorrow morning. MMX and data services require correct APN configuration but voice and text transmissions should be very straight forward. Texting problems probably cannot be solved over the phone.

Does your daughter know how to dial from France to reach a US number? The procedure is different than dialing from the US to France.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

Yes she does know how to dial from France to USA. The talk feature works perfectly on the Orange SIM.

Arizona
Level Contributor
737 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

"Do not expect companies here to offer small commercial jests simply because you are unhappy."

My thinking is that she paid for something that was not provided. Not just that she is unhappy. Is it unacceptable to request a refund if the texting issue cannot be fixed?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frustrated with Orange SIM card

…orange.fr/contacter-orange-2383.php