We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Those Horrible Love Locks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Those Horrible Love Locks

Please allow me type and try and lower my blood pressure!!

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k749289…

If anyone is reading, please plant an Oak Tree. It will endure much longer than a manky lock.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

Sounds like a plan Selsy. He's probably one of the few men she hasn't been married to or had a baby with lol!!

Otherwise get a lot of first time posters on here to complain that shortly after they put their love locks on a bridge / magnificent monument / artefact of beauty that their relationship broke up and that one should NEVER EVER EVER (even bigger font!!) use a love lock.

This could then trigger lots of responses about people needing to come to Trip Advisor first to discover how awful the love locks were!!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

I think that Inna's right about contacting Lonely Planet and persuading them that it's a rotten idea to mention leaving locks on Parisian bridges as a token of undying affection.

I wonder how many other guide books are recommending something similar?

Clarksville TN
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

The City of Paris and RATP jointly published a book "Discovering Paris by Metro" which describes things to see at about 150 of the Paris Metro stops and describes the love locks on the Pont des Arts as a "very romantic" thing to do. The city is not only tolerating the practice, but is encouraging it!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

Wow, I was looking through this thread. Some of the posters on here have made thousands of posts! Gee, you must live on this forum! I think it's great!!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
924 posts
712 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

Uhhh....we will NOT be doing this in Paris.

Prince Rupert...
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

We placed a lock on the Pont des Arts when we were there last month. We were careful to note where we put it. Then, on our last evening, we took a romantic stroll and retrieved it. We took the lock home with us as a souvenir. It's a nice vintage Yale lock stamped "Made in Canada" (they're all made in China now). More people ought to take their love locks home. The authorities might have more success encouraging this than trying to ban the practice outright.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

But why would you put it there in the first place?

What have locks got to do with love?

If you want to do something romantic, plant an oak tree. Give details of the oak tree location to your children. 7 or 8 generations on, your great x many times grand children will be able to go and see the tree that great x many times grandma and grandpa planted.

The lock will be meaningless.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

I don't get it either. What's the point in putting the lock on the bridge and then taking it off again? Did you take a photo? At least you didn't throw a key in the Seine.

Prince Rupert...
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

What's the point??

What's the point of any silly sentimental thing that people do??

When we placed our love lock on the bridge, we sealed it with a kiss, only to look up and see the Eiffel Tower sparkling. It was precisely 10 o'clock. We didn't plan it that way, it just happened. It was a lovely romantic moment.

We went back to the bridge and took photos of our lock the next day. Every time we crossed the Pont des Arts, we had fun checking on our lock. It was also fun retrieving it on our last evening.

Our love lock is now fastened to our wrought iron stair railing at home. As I said, it's a souvenir of our trip.

FYI, we didn't plant a tree when we got married but we did plant trees upon the births of each of our children. We have since moved several times and had to leave the trees behind, for others to enjoy, or cut down, as the case may be. We don't really have a spot for a tree in our yard now, but I do have plans to plant a rhododendron in honour of our 30th anniversary this year.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Those Horrible Love Locks

Today on one of the midday news programs, the city official who has been saddled with the love lock problem was the special guest. He said that a solution has not been found yet but everybody is brainstorming about what to do. He said that in any case there will be no law or decree banning the practice or creating a big fine. "We can't put police on every bridge 24 hours a day and there are already too many unenforceable laws in existence." The Russian love lock trees have been inspected and are not suitable -- they are super ugly, just about as bad as the bridge situation. Since they have already collected several tons of locks from fallen panels, etc., they were wondering about melting down the locks and creating some sort of love sculpture, but since the locks are made out of so many different kinds of metal, melting them down is pretty much impossible, too. Right now they are trying to imagine some sort of electronic love message thingamabob that would permanently broadcast everybody's love messages to the world, but they can't think of any way that this could be conceived as more attractive and desirable than sneaking love locks onto every piece of Paris where one will fit. But they have not yet given up on this idea.

Anyway, they are still piling up all of the love locks in a warehouse somewhere, and the poor guy in charge of the situation said that as soon as they have found some sort of alternative, they will certainly announce it with great fanfare.