We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in Paris

northern ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time in Paris

I am planning a trip to Paris for my mums 50th, sight seeing, shopping etc. I have never been in Paris before and would like some advice on the best area to stay for first timers. Dont mind walking but dont want to be too far away from the best tourist spots.Mid price range.Thanks

Bastille Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Mouffetard Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Cler
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in Paris

Hi there, most of the people on here suggest arrondissements 1-6 for first time visit. Plus, I would try to spend at least 4 nights in Paris to get a good taste of it. Prepare to be dazzled!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in Paris

take a look at Henri IV Rive Gauche -- boutique hotel with small but nicely appointed rooms in a location near the river and Notre Dame.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in Paris

hi

to get better advice it is a good idea to provide the following:

your budget in Euros; when are you planning this trip and type of room you are looking for.

www.trivago.com is a good site to start sorting things out.

the last 2 digits of postal code is the arrondissement i.e 75006 - is the 6th arrondissement.

northern ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in Paris

Thank you for your suggestions. Planning trip for August and probably a triple room if possible.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in Paris

Since we have no idea of your budget, here is a recent thread with a number of hotel choices with triple rooms:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k70975…

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in Paris

Hi, we will be in Paris for 5 days in mid-july. We are a family of 4 (adults), from Australia. We will be spending a few days in London, Rome before heading to Paris. I have been reading the forum, gathered the information and came up with this itineary. Seeing that the forum is so helpful, I hope to get some advise/opinions for what I have planned.

Day 1 - arrive Paris in the afternoon staying at a hotel at 5th arr - Latin Quarter

- walk around Pantheon/Latin Quarter

- evening - look for nice dinner

Day 2 - Galleries lafayette/Bon Marche shopping

- stroll to the Arc de Triomphe on the Champ Elysee, Pont Alexander

(or shall we do the Sacred Heart Basilica?)

Day 3 - Lourve

Orsay

evening - River Siene Cruise

dinner

Day 4 - Notre Dame

Luxembourg Gardens

Orangerie Museum ( is it in the same vicinity?)

evening - walk around Montmartre District

Day 5 - Check out by 12 noon

taking Euro Star back to London late afternnoon

I read that its best not to do too much and just explore and enjoy Paris. I hope I am planning in that direction.

Thanking you in advance. Cheers!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in Paris

666Lynn99:

You should start your own thread if you want the most answers. And you need a map of Paris so you can figure out how best to group things instead of zig-zagging around the city.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first time in Paris

Noted and thank you for your prompt reply, StCirq. Will re look into my itineary.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time in Paris

Lynn, when you make an itinerary- mark days of a week.

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: first time in Paris

Thanks Tesa227! Day 1 starts from Friday right through to day 5 which is a Tues when we leave for London. I

think my visits are all over the place so now I am trying to rearrange the places...Thanks again for taking the trouble to read my post.