We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Bern

Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Bern

Hi there , we are planning for our train ride to bern from Paris on a Saturday in August. Have checked the TGV website and seems like there is only one direct train leaving late in the evening. Will appreciate some advice on alternatives as we need to leave early in the morning and hope to also make it via a direct ride. Thanks in advance!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
491 reviews
from US$72.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.60*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Bern

Searching www.voyages-sncf.com I see a trains leaving at 8:02, 10:23 and 12:23 all with one connection. This is as good as you're going to do - and making a connection is really no big deal.

Book soon, as prices will only go up.

if you have problems booking ob SNCF try www.capitainetrain.com instead.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Bern

The Basel train station is very straightforward. You can get the TGV from Paris to Basel and transfer there for a local SBB train to Bern.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Bern

The easiest thing is to take a train from Paris to Basel and then connect to one of the numerous Swiss local trains. If you are staying in Switzerland long enough, the very best thing that you can buy for travel in Switzerland is the Swiss Pass. It is rather pricy but it includes all trains in the country, tramways, municipal buses and even some of the cable car services. Once you cross the border, it is basically all you need.

http://www.swiss-pass.ch/en/swiss-pass

Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Bern

Hi F1racegirl, I must be missing something. I can't quite see the hourly departures that you mentioned. Where do these depart from? Gare de Lyon or CDG?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Bern

Not F1racegrl but I might be able to help. When you go to the website she posted, make sure you unclick the "direct trains only" box. It defaults to being checked. Uncheck that and you should find your trains. I just put in Paris all stations and Australitz (two stops) came up as well but all others were from Gare de Lyon (one stop).

You should also change the time. It defaults to the present time so if you put in 6am, you'll get all trains after that.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Bern

Thanks casperjj!

Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Bern

Thanks for the fast response! I managed to figure this out too but got stuck with my input for credit card details. Tried a few cards with same error message about not having the security requirements? Seems like yet another challenge to making the bookings! Will appreciate some more enlightenment! Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Bern

Use www.capitainetrain.com as I suggested in my post #1 if you had problems with SNCF.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Bern

It is becoming more and more common not to be able to buy things online in France if your bank is not registered to send you an SMS with a special security code that you have to enter on the site you are using.

10. Re: Paris to Bern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:17