We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

I will be in Paris in about a week. My plan for one of the days is to go to Sainte Chapelle in the morning - get there before it opens to minimize wait time. But I have also booked a walking tour in Montmartre at 11am & I think the only way I'll make it is if I can get a cab from Sainte Chapelle. Will that be possible? Would I find a cab? Or should I re-think my itinerary? Another option would be to try to see Sainte Chapelle late on a Saturday afternoon. Will I wait in line an hour at that time of day?

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

Walk two blocks around to Notre Dame. Lots of taxis stop there and at the Hospitel (hospital) adjacent to ND to discharge passengers and you could likely get one there.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

The nearest taxi stand would probably be at Place St Michel, right at the intersection of Boulevard St Michel and Quai St Michel (the Quai basically means that particular section of the area along the Seine).

A taxi stand is your best bet, but you could probably hail a taxi in the area just to the left of the big square in front of Notre Dame. This is not an offical stand, but you generally can find taxis near Notre Dame and the Hospital just in front.

Overall, though, keeping the big picture in mind, I don't think your taxi plan is a good one. It is just not pleasant at all to be in one beautiful, interesting place (like Ste Chapelle) and to be able to think about nothing but having to get to your next destination by a pretty strict deadline, especially if that destination is across town (from Ste Chapelle to Montmartre). To add to the stress, Ste Chapelle is often crowded, and there are security checks at the entrance whether or not you have a museum pass.

Don't cut your time short at one place to be in another place.

If you really want to "save time," plan efficiently. Group sights together by basic location. Ste Chapelle works well with many things you will want to see while in Paris, so I would suggest giving it its fair share of time and adding to it an exploration of the Islands, or perhaps St Germain, the Latin Quarter, and/or the Marais.

You can get to Montmartre later in the same day, but just don't plan for a guided tour at 11.

If you decide to go for the Montmartre tour, then begin your day in Montmartre.

i would suggest

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,481 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

taxis in central Paris often get hung up in traffic so your quick trip may also not be so quick.

I agree with the 'don't rush' advise -- nothing spoils a trip like overscheduling and having to see or do something without the time to enjoy it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

Agree - at that time of day, there's no way a taxi can get you up to Montmartre as fast as you need to get there. Montmartre is best in the morning, anyway. Sainte-Chapelle is more interesting in the afternoon, when the light comes streaming through the windows. Reverse the order and you'll have a better time.

You can easily flag a taxi right on any corner by the bridge near Sainte-Chapelle - just look for a cab with a green light on top. For up to 3 passengers, the ride to Montmartre would be about 20 - 25 EU, depending on traffic.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

Thanks for the great advice, I will re-arrange my day & I'm sure we'll have a better time.

6. Re: taxi at Sainte Chapelle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 06:16