We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Hello!

My 21 year old daughter and her best friend will be in Paris with 4 full days to see the sights.

They are staying in the 16th Arrondissement at the apartment of a family friend.

Can anyone please help me setting up an itinerary for them? I do not know enough to group the sights they want to see together, so they can maximize their time.

They have T,W,TH,Friday to see the sights.

List:

Champs Elysees

Louvre (closed Tuesday

Eiffel Tower

Notre Dame Cathedral

Arc de Triomphe

Sacre Coeur

Jardin des Tuileries

Latin Quarter

Luxembourg Palace and gardens

Pantheon

Versailles

My daughter's friend desperately wants to go to Disneyland Paris, but my daughter does not feel they can see this list AND go to Disneyland (my daughter feels it is a WASTE of 25% of her time in Paris and doesn't want to go).

Thanks for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Champs-Elysees
Champs-Elysees
17,318 Reviews
Paris, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,425 Reviews
Paris, France
Notre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral
61,895 Reviews
Paris, France
Arc de Triomphe
Arc de Triomphe
37,472 Reviews
Paris, France
Jardin des Tuileries
Jardin des Tuileries
6,599 Reviews
Paris, France
Latin Quarter
Latin Quarter
3,781 Reviews
Paris, France
Luxembourg Palace
Luxembourg Palace
1,077 Reviews
Paris, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

If your daughter is 21, there is no reason she can't get a map of Paris and a guidebook and group these sites logically together on her own.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

Some people with first hand knowledge like to help others and that's why I was inquiring.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

When is the trip?

Are they planning on going up the Eiffel Tower or the towers at Notre Dame? If so, they will need to be at both of these prior to opening in order to avoid standing in long lines. Versailles is another one to arrive at early. So I would place one of these major sites on each day, first thing in the morning, then have them look at a map and see what else is close to there, and group it that way.

If they have time, they can buy advanced tickets to some sites which helps with the long ticket lines.

They *might* be able to do DL, as many of the things they want to see are walk-throughs/by, but I think the bigger issue is that your daughter feels it is a waste of time and her friend doesn't. They need to work that out. Most would advise not doing DL, especially for such a short and with another day trip planned (Versailles.) Two days trips are a lot in only 4 days, and would mean doing everything else in 2 days.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 16:56
Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,425 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

They are arriving June 16th from Venice and departing on June 21st.

Thank you for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

OK, so they *probably* will not be able to get advanced tickets to go up the Eiffel Tower. They go on sale 3 months out and sell out immediately. Sometimes a few more are released closer to the date - I saw a few yesterday for June 10, so they could keep checking. The better option, though, so as to not be locked into a time/date, is to either arrive 30 min prior to opening to get ticket to take the elevator up, or they can buy a (cheaper) ticket on site to climb the stairs to the second level at any time.

There are no advanced tickets for the towers at Notre Dame, so they should be there 30 - 45 min before opening as only 20 people are let up at a time. If they only wish to go inside the church, while the line may seem long, it goes very fast, so they can arrive any time.

Mentioned in this post
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,425 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

If they go to Versailles, 4 days in Paris become 3. 3 days in Paris pass quickly.

If you live in San Diego, a trip to Anaheim is all that is needed to see Disney. It would be an ineffective use of valuable vacation time to visit that which you can see at home.

You do not need someone who knows Paris to link the chosen destinations together. Give your daughter a map of Paris let her plan her trip. You have already pointed out that le Louvre is closed on Tuesdays; the other locations/destinations are not necessarily time sensitive unless she want to see the Eiffel Tower. To do that she will need to be in line at 8 or 8:30 for the 9am opening. I recommend the line at the East leg, (the leg near the Champ de Mars.)

She should also be thinking about transportation options and how she plan moving about the city.

A transportation map is available here:

www.ratp.fr

Edited: 07 June 2014, 17:16
Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
France Louvre
France Louvre
295 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,425 Reviews
Paris, France
san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

The girls left soon after final college exams and didn't have a lot of time to read guide books.They are going to Athens, Santorini, Rome, Venice and then Paris. I think they were hoping their elderly hosts might help with itinerary in Paris, but they now believe they better be prepared prior to arriving (they are in Greece now).

The trip fell in to place rather last minute, so the girls are not as prepared as they would like..

I did try to buy them tickets for the Eiffel Tower, and found out as you reported that they are sold out of advance tickets.

I do appreciate your help (shout out for San Diego!!) and appreciate any other advice from you or others :)

Edited: 07 June 2014, 17:22
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Greece
Greece
Europe
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,425 Reviews
Paris, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,719 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Some suggestions here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c205942/Paris…

and also some info on menus and eating

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c205945/Paris…

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

Most helpful- thank you all :)

10. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 06:16