We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Defense area vs Paris city center

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
La Defense area vs Paris city center

Hi, I am trying to choose a hotel to stay for this coming December holiday and I stumbled over my research the La Defense area in Paris (the modern office area ). I can see that a 6 nights stay in some of its 5 star like Sofitel La Defense area is almost the same price as a 2 star or 3 star in Latin Quarter or Saint Germain area. With bigger rooms, better amenities and all my question is "Is it worth it to stay in that part of the town and travel to the different places in the city?" I am very tempted with the room size and the luxury of the 5 star hotel vs the normal 2-3 star room size in the city center but I am torn by the fact of the hassle of travelling daily and the inconvenience of probably not being able to get back to your room mid day if you need something or want to drop some of your stuff. Need some advice or suggestion on this... Oh by the way this is my first time to Paris with my wife. Haven't really done enough research on the transportation prices and time yet.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

You do not want to stay at La Défense if your objective is tourism in Paris.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

Well, La Défense is rather charmless. It depends if comfort and amenities are more important to you than your immediate surroundings or not. Personally I would rather be staying in an area that looks like Paris if I were on my first trip to Paris.

l live here so I know nothing about hotels but I am sure others will make recommendations for hotels that have what you are looking for if you give them more details and your nightly budget in euros. You also don't have to stay in Saint-Germain or Latin Quarter if you don't find suitable hotels in your price range there. There are other districts that are cheaper and still 100% Parisian.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

I often work at La Defense and sleep in the city - and commute in the morning.

So yes it is feasible the other way round but my reason for not staying at La Defense is that it is a complete bore with aboslutely nothing to do in the evening (and work in the day).

As MFM suggests, give us a budget per night in Euros and some of us will give you hotels they know.

Ps : I've been in a suite in the Sofitel, it is a nice hotel. but then you only have the hotel.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

My plan is to be in Paris in Dec. 21-26. Then will travel to Barcelona via the TGV. In those 6 days I plan to visit one day in Versailles, another day probably Disneyland (not sure yet). Then those other 4 days are the Museums, Gardens, Cathedral, areas in the city of Paris. My budget at first was around 80 euros but I think that is almost impossible already so I am looking at around 100-140 euro/nite.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

Hi

Plenty of rooms at that rate especially if you reserve now.

My fav is close to Montmartre, called 'Boronalli',

then in the center :

- 18e again : Montmarte mon amour - a very lovely hotel with theme on love - perfect for 2, I went with a special price that I've not foudn after - nevertheless who doesn't try doesn't get....

- 11e close to Bastille : Gardette

- 9e close to St George : Arvor

- 4th : Hotel de Neuve

I've made reviews on those hotels, they are all 2 or 3 stars hotels I think.

I've been to 4 or 5 with my wife and sometimes price is ok - MacMahon and Splendide first close to Maillt, second with a sight on Etoile (you must ask). But above your budget (I think we got per night on average 150 e.

I always book via booking.com never had a problem up to now.

Enjoy !

Edited: 07 June 2014, 17:07
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

I know a few people who love staying in La Défense when they are tourists in Paris, but they are a distinct and small minority. However, the metro connection to the center of Paris is really easy on metro line 1, so if "losing" an extra 10 minutes to get into the city is acceptable for your desire to stay in a luxury hotel, I say go ahead and indulge yourself. There is at least the giant shopping mall and cineplex with huge restaurant zone right at La Défense, so you are not completely abandoned to boredom in the evening by not being in Paris.

On top of that, in December you will have the largest Christmas market of the Paris region right in front of the hotel. I think that some of the people who want to find the location terrible don't always think everything through -- or else they don't know much about La Défense.

Here is my photo report about what to expect at La Défense: …proboards.com/thread/4318/paris-la-fense…

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

Difficult one.

I suppose I agree with bv in that the evenings would be my main problem.....it's so nice to eat in a local restaurant after a hard day of sightseeing.

That said there is nothing to stop you coming back into the centre for the evening.

La Defense is very well connected...5 mintes to the Arc de Triomphe. 10m to Opera...

A direct line to DIsney and a direct train to Versailles.

If I got a great deal in a Sofitel I might be tempted.....

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

1. The market booths at La Défense during Christmas as the exact same vendors with exactly the same merchandise that one can see at Montparnasse or at many other places in Paris. It´s nothing special really and absolutely not unique at all to that location.

2. To be able to reach Opéra from la Défense in under 10 minutes, requires the RER and that means zone 3 ticket expense. It´s not a huge increase really, maybe 6€ each but it narrows slightly the cost advantage of staying outside of Paris.

At that time of year I would stay in the 9th. The activity around the large department stores is magical.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

<< There is at least the giant shopping mall and cineplex with huge restaurant zone ... and the largest Christmas market of the Paris region >>

Just each one of those elements could be my definition of hell already, so the combination of all those is ... Arrrrrrggggggg!!!!! Thanks kerouac, now I'll have nightmares tonight! :-D))

Edited: 07 June 2014, 17:33
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Defense area vs Paris city center

sorry but I haven't really done my research for the metro, so how much would be the cost from La defense to the city center? Also do you have to switch lines along the way? How much time estimate do you think it will be from the time you enter the metro station to the time you get out let's say around Montparnasse or Pompidou Center? Thanks for all these replies I am absolutely learning so much about Paris in all of you.