We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
4 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

We are traveling with our grand kids (12 & 14) and staying in an apartment in the 6th. We will have about three hours to hangout with our suitcases until we can get into the apartment. Locker rentals are too expensive for the short time we will need them. Any ideas on where to go and what we might do?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

What time of day? Close to a meal or snack time?

If you have too much luggage to wander around a bit then find a cafe close to your apartment. You can sit as long as you like but you need to order something. You may already know this - if you don't plan on eating anything don't sit at a table that is set for a meal with a placemat and silverware. Sit at a bare table. Be sure to look at the menu on the street first before sitting down so that you know how much coffee, soft drinks, food cost. There will be plenty of choices.

And while sitting there one of two at a time can wander into a shop, etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

First of all, I'd ask if you can drop your belongings at the apartment. I've never been refused this request. If you are refused, don't take it personally. It may really just not be convenient or possible to have someone meet you at the apartment early.

Anyway, absent that, do as elizzie says and find a café near the apartment. I have to think that, after getting off an overnight flight, everyone will be looking for some decent food and a cup of coffee.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 13:40
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

I would ask if you could leave your luggage, since most cafes do not have ample space between tables and rows of chairs. Restaurants are much worse, in this regard. It's possible that someone will be there cleaning, but you might have to arrange an early check-in with the greeter - sometimes there is a charge for this.

You might get lucky and be able to find two adjoining tables in the front row, where there would probably be some space on the sidewalk, but you can't count on that - or depend on being able to sit there for 3 hours. Remember, cafes and restaurants are places of business, and count on a certain "price per head" - they are not luggage-storage facilities or rest stops for tired travellers. I routinely see people with luggage turned away, in my neighborhood - especially at the cafe that has the largest terrace.

However, depending on where you;re staying, you might be near a park or square - most often, there will be benches available. One or more of you could go find something to eat and drink, and you could relax, there.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 16:34
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,339 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

What is the address of the apartment?

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,033 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

What time do you arrive and what time can you check in?

If you're arriving at CDG after an overnight flight, getting off the plane and through passport control can take an hour - or more. Then allowing for everyone to make a pit stop and making your way to Paris could take 3 hours from landing.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

we have done this a couple of times. We found a cafe for lunch and sat with our luggage against the wall behind us -- we have never had a problem finding outdoor seating where this was possible. The key is to make sure the luggage is well secured, but particularly to make sure that smaller items like daypacks, messenger bags, camera bags and purses are very well secured as they are more likely to be snagged.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

...and that they don't hinder anyone else sitting down in the café. I can see why this would irk some café owners.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

Agree with others. Check with the owner/manager. If there are no guests departing day of your arrival, you may be able to get in earlier. Otherwise, they will usually arrange for the cleaning person to let you in to drop the bags.

As mentioned, you may not have as much time as you presume. If you're arriving at CDG, it does take a while to get from your landing gate through Passport Control. While at CDG, you could go to a Tourist Information Desk for museum and/or transit passes/tickets, if you'll need/want those.

If you're arriving at a train station, cafes and restaurants in the area are used to people sitting for hours with suitcases.

If you would provide a more specific location in the 6th, and how you will be traveling there from CDG, or if you're arriving at a train station which one, you'll receive better recommendations.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

We have never had the slightest problem with cafe owners and luggage; in fact the waiter helped re-arrange the tables slightly to secure luggage against the wall. They were happy to help and to sell us stuff. Of course it is always a good idea to not put your stuff where people will trip over it, but that goes without saying. And if the place is crowded, asking permission to stow the luggage is a courtesy.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas on where to hangout until apartment is ready?

janettravels - either you all travel without much luggage, or you have been extremely fortunate.

I think that "never had a problem" probably applied to you, but I would not say this would be the case for most people. Again, you were lucky that you found places willing and able to accommodate you and your stuff, but I wouldn't suggest that anyone count on being as successful as you have been. There are just way too many variables to consider.