We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dare we even try Paris?

Prineville, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dare we even try Paris?

We are traveling from Bayeax Normandy through Silly-le-Long Oise back to Germany and it looks like we will be driving just north of Paris. If we wanted to just do a quick couple of hours in Paris, would it be best to park our car and train in rather than drive? It is my first and probably last trip to France and although our plans pretty much keep us north, was wondering if a quick stop is even feesible or crazy. Just let me see the Arch! Any suggestions on where to catch the train?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

My feeling is that, if two hours is all you have, two hours it is. Definitely don't drive into the city. Parking is next to impossible to find. You'll spend your entire two hours looking for a place to park.

A local will come along with the best place to park no take the RER or trip into the city.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

Not if you go to an underground lot -- they are everywhere.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

Hello

Yes, either you have train close to silly le long, I suppose there are, or drive to RER B station close to Silly - Villepinte is about 30 kms for instance. Rrom Villepinte you ahve about half an hour of RER to center.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 23:22
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

Kerouac, wouldn't you think it would take less time, and be easier, for the OP to take the train into Paris, given surface traffic and that it's not his final destination?

Edited: 11 June 2014, 23:34
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

Paris is super easy to find when you are driving, and your car is right there once you have seen the sights for two hours. It is much easier than finding some little station in the boondocks and having to return to it -- not to mention the added expense for tickets.

Driving to the suburbs when that is not your destination is just plain silly. Anybody who has been driving in France is used to the traffic by the time they reach Paris.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

I'll defer to your superior knowledge...however reluctantly :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

I do understand that many visitors to Paris take one look at the complexity of Parisian traffic and can't imagine ever participating, but most of them were not driving anywhere else in France either.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

Can I ask why driving? Due to how expensive gas and tolls are, the train might be cheaper for both time and money, especially booked in advance. You can check routes on viamichelin.com

For example, I was going to rent a car in Paris and drive to Mont St Michel. I was told to compare train to viamichelin. The train to Rennes is 2 hours and was E60 for three people. Driving to Rennes would have taken 4 hours and cost about E68.60 in estimated gas and tolls.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

I just looked at the route recommended by viamichelin from Bayeux to Silly-le Long and see that it does go just north of Paris. In that case, I agree it will be faster and easier to just drive into Paris and park near Porte de la Chapelle. Much easier to drive on the highway than get off the highway and get lost in a suburb.

But do not even think of approaching or leaving Paris during rush hour or you will be wasting a lot of time. The other thing to consider is not leaving anything visible in the car and nothing of value at all inside.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 00:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dare we even try Paris?

you can go on line and identify parking lots near where you will enter Paris 'Vinci' -- if you have a GPS they will actually be able to identify parking lots -- at least ours did when we drove in from Semur en Auxois for a day in Paris with relatives who managed to plan their visit just outside the two months we were actually in Paris.