We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

Hi, Thinking of staying in Versailles, is this a good area to stay in to explore Paris or too far. I thought it might be a interesting area to stay in, explore this part and also Paris area ft the same time. I guess the train/metro tickets will cost more to get into Paris from here, anyone know how much this would cost. Would it be a good option to stay here, Is it nice area or would I regret being so far from Paris. Hope someone can help, thank you

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

It will cost you just under 7 € per day round trip to commute between Versailles and Paris by RER (there are other ways, both cheaper and more expensive than the RER) or you could get a pass for zones 1-4. Depending on how long you will be staying, your dates and what else you plan on visiting, it may not cost you more to stay in Versailles and there are certainly a lot of interesting places nearby if you only want to spend half of your time in Paris.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 16:52
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

If visiting Paris is your goal, stay in Paris.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

Its about 45 min ride on RER to Paris one way. Waste of time.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

Versailles is a beautiful, upscale city and has several train stations: it is 23 minutes from Versaillles Rive Gauche to the Eiffel Tower, 21 minutes from Versailles Chantiers to the Montparnasse train station in Paris and 29 minutes from Versaille Rive Droite to the Saint-Lazare train station in Paris. So it depends on where in Versailles you would be staying and whether or not Paris is your priority or just one destination among others.

If your goal is really to visit Paris then it would be better to stay in Paris itself. If your tolerance level for city tourism is limited then it can be far more relaxing to stay outside Paris.

Here are transportation passes explained: www.vianavigo.com/en/tickets-and-fares/ and here is an interactive map of the network: www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

Colleyville, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

In March of 2010 my husband and I stayed at the Trianon Palace. It was about a 10 minute walk to the train station that we used to get into Paris. I do believe that station that we used in getting to and from the airport was a little farther away- perhaps 20 min. I don't remember what we spent on tickets but we didn't find the cost or the time prohibitive. We went into the city 3 full days and spent the other days in Versailles. Sunday was a great day to spend there because of the Market. We also used that day to tour the palace and the grounds; we then finished off the day with dinner and a movie. I felt the main downside was that when we went into the city it was an all day affair with no means to relax privately. If you are okay with this, Versaille might be a viable option for you.

I really enjoyed getting to know Versailles and would definitely stay there again. That being said- we are headed back in three weeks, with 4 teenagers in tow, and have rented an apartment in the 6th.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

I would stay at Paris rather than spend all my time commuting.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

Thr advantage of staying in Paris is that you can pop back to your hotel. If you do any shopping you can drop off your bags. If you leave in the morning and realize you forgot something you can easily go back and get it. If you get cold and don't have your jacket or sweater you can go back and get it. When I'm out and about all day I like to be able to go back and shower (especially if it's warm) and change before going out to dinner or doing whatever are in my evening plans. Sometimes I need to have a nap before going out again.

As you can tell I really like the option to be able to go back to my hotel during the day.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

The slow, continuesly stopping, commuter train on RER line C from Versailles to central Paris is boring enough once a week let alone three or four times a day.

9. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 22:43
Edited: 12 June 2014, 22:43
10. Re: Is Versailles a good area to stay or too far from Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:17