We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First week in Sept still tourist season?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
First week in Sept still tourist season?

Hello,

Looking to spend a romantic anniversary in Paris with my wife. We would leave on Aug. 29th and be in Paris through Friday, Sept. 5th. Is this a good time to visit? I'd like to avoid extreme tourism season (which I'm guessing will be winding down by then). Thinking of staying in St. Germain, Montmarte, St. Louis, Opera, or Latin Qtr. Any other suggestions appreciated.

thanks

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

September is arguably the busiest month in Paris. Both for business and tourists. Maybe not so many families, because the kids are in school, but incredibly busy nonetheless.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

September, early October are very busy in Paris. It´s peak hotel season and if you do not already have reservations, the best hotels are already gone.

It´s also arguably the best time of the year to be in Paris.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

What Happygoin said. I think September is a very popular month, and so is October. There were just starting to be fewer tourists, and lower rates, when we visited in mid November a couple of years ago.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

Depends what you mean by tourist season. Paris is touristy year round and peak season is the spring months for vacationers, the fall months for business tourism so during the day, sites like museums are slightly less crowded than in the spring months even though hotel occupancy is a little higher. August is the quiet month, with discounts on hotels so if you want to avoid crowds, come a little earlier if you can.

I love the first week of September in Paris, it's got a very relaxed feel about it as Parisians are back from vacation but still on vacation mode: both energized and relaxed. There's a great vibe about it IMO.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,243 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

September has always been the hardest month for us to rent places; it is arguably the nicest month to visit and people know it and of course there are also a lot of business conferences and trade shows then as well.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

It will not be "extreme tourism season".

September is generally busy with conventions, trade shows, special events, fashion week, etc. and the hotels do fill quickly. So, it would be a good idea to secure accommodations before booking airline tickets.

We visit Paris almost every year mid-late September and find the major attractions relatively uncrowded. I'm guessing most visitors are busy at other places. It's especially nice to be in Paris for the Journées du Patrimoine and we've enjoyed very nice weather.

A quick check of your dates does indicate that many hotels are full. But, there is still availability.

California
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

JMS 1002, it is a lovely time to visit. Last time we visited in September was in 2012. Weather was very warm and humid.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

thanks all. Booked!

Krd
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

Hi,

Thanks for the post, was wondering that question myself. I will be there those same dates, also traveling from Ohio (Columbus). Enjoy your time there. I am looking forward to the trip, it will be the first time in Paris for my friends and I.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 03:31
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First week in Sept still tourist season?

Mrs. FM -- I can't tell you how much I miss the "rentrée" vibe here in the States -- it was such a convivial thing to reconnect with everyone at work and school whom you hadn't seen in a couple of months.