We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Versailles Waldorf Astoria

Miami, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Versailles Waldorf Astoria

My husband and I have just decided to plan a trip to Paris in September. We have both been many times...but my husband, a Landscape Architect, has never been to Versailles. He is wanting to spend time in the Gardens. I have a lot of Hilton points that I can use at the Waldorf. I have a couple of questions.....should we head straight to Versailles after arriving at CDG from Miami (arriving on a Friday morning) and spend a night or two, then head to Paris for a week? The Waldorf is requiring a ton of points...is it worth it? I was thinking that it would be nice on the front end of our trip....to relax, get over a little jet lag and spend some time at the palace. Thoughts/suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Versailles Waldorf Astoria

I think it sounds fabulous!

But getting to Versailles from CDG is a long haul. I am not sure how much a taxi would run, but it could be pricey. Are you prepared to take a commuter train and then transfer to another?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
941 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Versailles Waldorf Astoria

We did CDG to Versailles on our first trip to Paris and stayed at the Trianon Palace our first night. We did the gardens our first day and the chateau the next morning. It worked out very well for us. I don't know if they still have the hammam, but late in the afternoon after being in the gardens all day we really enjoyed a sweat and a soak in the pool. Then we slept for twelve hours, lol.

We didn't find the RER/train transfer all that daunting. You ride in to the city from the north, change trains and ride out to the west. The gentle rocking of the second train did lull us a little, enough that we succumbed to the need for caffeine and surrendered to the Starbucks directly opposite the station when we arrived in Versailles.

We arrived on a Saturday and it was market day and we bought supplies for a picnic in the gardens. I'm sure there are places you can pick up the same, or there are some restaurants on the grounds or in town. Everything at the hotel is very pricey.

We stayed there on points. I think one night would do it, see the gardens your first day, check out and leave your bags while you see the chateau the next morning, reclaim them in the afternoon and go in to the city for the rest of your trip.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Versailles Waldorf Astoria

Because of ring roads, the taxi fare isn't much more than Paris. And it is a really nice hotel, worth the points. Some rooms have Versailles garden views and you are literally at the garden entrance when you walk out the door.

Like the previous poster, we loved the pool to unwind after a long day.

Miami, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Versailles Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for your responses!! We are planning on 2 nights...then off to Paris for a week!

5. Re: Versailles Waldorf Astoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 06:16