We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

Going to Paris next month. There are a few river cruises to choose from. Any suggestions. Not for dinner, just to see the sights. Thank you!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

It doesn't really matter; they're mostly the same. I like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. The boats are smaller, and the tour buses generally dump their hordes at the Bateaux Mouches, or Bateaux Parisian.

Vedettesdupontneuf.com

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

The cruises follow the same route, and all last one hour. All have very lame commentary, and you can't hear it, anyway. The difference lies in the size of the boat, and where you board.

I prefer Vedettes du Pont Neuf, since the boats are not those mega-monster-barge things that some of the other companies use. Also, the boarding dock is near Pont Neuf, which is centrally-located for a lot of people.

There's a fair number of stairs down to this dock, so anyone wishing to avoid them might want to use a company that docks near the Pont de l'Alma and Eiffel Tower - there's an easy slope, no stairs involved.

If you purchase your tickets online from the official websites, you will save a couple of euros and minimize time spent waiting in line. There's a separate window for e-tickets, and little or no waiting. Tickets are not dated and are valid for one year, but some companies sell "afternoon" or "evening" tours, and you must respect those times. The only disadvantage to pre-purchasing your tickets is that if the weather's bad, you won't see much.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

Another vote for Vedettes du Pont Neuf. I like where the starting/finish point is, and we've always had a good experience with them. I also order online in advance, to save a couple of euros.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

I'm not a fan of the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. Yes, the boats are small. So, you are confined to your seat, and you cannot get away from or ignore a "lively" family or group. Taking photos unobstructed by others or the boat is difficult. And, you can't usually move (unless there are empty seats) to the other side of the boat depending on what you're cruising past.

The Bateaux Parisiens are larger, but you're still usually confined to your seat. Commentary is provided on individual speakers so you can listen to that or enjoy the nice music instead.

My favorites are the Bateaux Mouches. Yes, they sometimes have tour groups aboard, but you can get away from them. There are several levels with wide aisles for strolling for superior photo ops. You can move all about the vessel, and there are areas of relative quiet and privacy, no matter how full the boat.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

My experience with people moving their seats on the larger boats was abysmal. They leave their seats to stand in front of everyone at the rail. It's infuriating...

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

Haha!! Thanks easygoin!

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

Apologies. I just saw the 5 other replies. Thanks to ALL of YOU for this great info!

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

Does anyone know which company gets used if the ticket is in conjunction with the Fat Tire Bike Tour?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

Which one is the most accessible by foot from Latin Quarter?

Thanks. Yuri.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seine River Cruise - which to choose?

BATOBUS........allows you to hop on and hop off at 8 different stops or simply enjoy the river. They run past 9 pm too. Another option.