We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United States credit cards

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
United States credit cards

I am planning to go paris in sept. I've heard I cannot use United States credit cards?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United States credit cards

You can use US credit cards at hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. You may not be able to use it in some automated ticket machines if it doesn't have chip and pin technology.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United States credit cards

That's crazy. Of course you can.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
808 posts
688 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United States credit cards

Only my CC with a chip worked in London for Underground tix. All restaurants could use the other CC's. Suggest you call your Cc company and request CC with a chip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United States credit cards

most ticket machines take cash although in France you often needs coins which is a pain. manned windows will take the magnetic credit cards.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United States credit cards

Make sure to bring more than one card - for various reasons, some work in some places some of the time, so it's best to have a backup payment system.

Make certain to call each bank and notify them of your travel dates and locations, otherwise your cards will be declined as "fraudulent activity".

Many merchants have minimum purchase amounts, usually 10 or 15 EU, and some small merchants will only accept cash.

American Express is usually accepted in hotels and upscale department stores - but don't make this your main card, since it's not widely used, here.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United States credit cards

I believe that the Discover card is not accepted in Europe, but as stated above you should have no trouble with a US Visa or Mastercard, except possibly in the instances mentioned above.

dallas
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United States credit cards

I have been using my Capital one card at restaurants and bought the paris museum card . For everything else been using cash from ATM. Certain debit cards have no charges and no foreign transaction fees and usually the best exchange rate

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United States credit cards

I found that very few restaurants take Am Ex but they can swipe other cards table side. ATMs also work fine. The only problem is with self service machines. They need a card with a chip in it.

9. Re: United States credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16