We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafes in Montparnasse

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cafes in Montparnasse

Hi! My fiancee and I will be going to Paris for three nights in a couple of weeks and we were wondering where in Montparnasse are the best cafes for sitting outside, drinking a wine and watching the world go by.

Merci.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

For location, there are the 'famous literary' cafes at Metro Vavin, and lots of foot traffic around Edgar Quinet@Odessa. Quite a few cafes to choose from.....

Edited: 16 June 2014, 15:03
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

I really think people who have never been to Paris have no idea just how many cafés there are in the city. There must be thousands. They seem to be on every single corner, and in between on every block as well. Locals have their faves, but for many and various reasons.

Pick a café on a busy street, order a coffee and that will probably become YOUR favorite café.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,903 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

Le Select is a beautiful, historic café that is perfectly placed to watch the world go by and tends not to draw in the meat market crowd at alot of the neighboring cafés that specialize in really cheap cocktails.

Level Contributor
7,886 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

you will find the best cafe by just strolling around...seeing a table that looks right and sitting down...I can appreciate planning but cafe sitting just happens.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

Fun fact: there are more than 10.000 "Licences IV" places (allowed to sell all kind of alcohols in France) in Paris, out of about 34.000 in all of France.

Le Montparnasse 1900 is a nice place in itself and for people watching, but go there only for a drink as the food is so-so, as is customary in chain restaurants (Gérard Joulie group)

Edited: 16 June 2014, 16:50
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

Montparnasse is awash in cafés, some of them quite famous, including a few mentioned by Hemingway. Most of them are east of the station. Your best bet is to just walk around and pick one you like. Paris is a city filled with cafés, most of which have open terraces on the sidewalk for people watching. The boulevard du Montparnasse has the highest density, including Le Select, La Rotonde, Le Dôme, La Coupole, etc. (some of these are restaurants).

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

Thanks, folks. I see on google street view there are lots of cafes and bars along the Boulevard Montparnasse.

By the way, is there an issue with Vavin metro station? The route planner on the ratp.fr site never seems to take you there.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

I'm not aware of any issue with the Vavin station. A couple of stations have limited hours but Vavin isn't one of them as far as I know (and it's possible they all keep full hours now). The RATP site has mutated into the same garbage that they put into their mobile app, so I don't really trust it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

Instead of the RATP site you can also use www.vianavigo.com or www.transilien.com.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cafes in Montparnasse

Aha! That site is much better, thanks.