We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

We're staying at the Hotel de Varenne later this week and I want to buy supplies for a picnic dinner (cheese, bread, charcutrie, wine, probably fruit and pastries). Any suggestions of where to go? Not Hediard prices, but not on a strict budget either. I don't mind going to several small shops (the shopping is half the fun). I will also probably spend some time in the Marais that day, so that's a possibility too. And what time should I expect food shops to close on a Thursday?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

If you go to the Marais early Thursday morning - between 9 and noon - you will find everything you're looking for at the Bastille/Richard Lenoir outdoor food market. Otherwise, there's a stretch of interesting food shops near Metro St Paul, on rue Saint Antoine running towards Bastille. But I would have a picnic in Place des Vosges or one of the other small parks in the Marais, rather than carting a lot of heavy food back to the 7eme.

I'm sure someone else will chime in about the 7eme, but it's not my neighborhood.

Most small food shops usually close around 7:30 PM, supermarkets stay open about an hour or so longer. Many small food shops will close for a few hours mid-day, then reopen around 4 PM.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

Franprix will be just fine for picnic items. After all, it is a picnic.

I only buy fancy stuff for a picnic when my maid is carrying the wicker basket with the bottles of wine and the fine china in it.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 14:39
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

there are some food shops along rue de Bougogne that should appeal to you. Bakery, patisserie, produce, wine along with meat and cheese shops.

jhgrady

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

When I say "picnic", I really mean "eating sat at the tables in the garden of our hotel". OH is not really a picnic person. I prefer to eat off plates. Good cheese, bread and wine are essential to the experience. If French supermarkets sell these, I'm happy enough to try that, but I suspect the quality would be better in small shops.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

Depends on the supermarket, depends on the small shop... Your eyes and nose will be of great assistance and you might even get a sample of something here or there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

From glancing at the hotel reviews on TA it appears everything you need is at your doorstep. The most recent review mentions a grocery store across the street, and a bakery 2 doors down.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d282879…

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

On the other side of the Musee de l'Armee from the hotel, the stretches of Rue Saint Dominique and Rue de Grenelle are filled with cheese, wine, fruit, shops and bakeries.

Yes, just took walk using google streetview of your hotel and there are several fruit shops and a bakery right by the hotel!

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

FRANCART MAISON GOURMANDE - 30, rue Dauphine in the 6th

http://www.maisonfrancart.com/#!epicerie-fine-paris/c1vkk

Not cheap. Very good. Picnic central for us.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,788 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

On your way back from the Marais you could swing by La Dernier Goutte for that bottle of wine ---> www.ladernieregoutte.net/vins/index-swf.php A few blocks off the Blvd St Germain.

Pjk

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to shop for a picnic in the 7e/4e

We got some nice things on Rue Cler. Davoli is a lovely deli with lots of salads and wonderful picnic foods. Marie Cantin has a gorgeous cheese shop on Rue de Champ de Mars. The bread at the bakery on the corner of those two streets was really good - I especially liked the whole grain baguette studded with pistachios. There's also a Nicolas wine shop on Rue Cler.

Davoli's website:

http://davoli-paris.fr/

Edited: 17 June 2014, 20:11