We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

There are several shops I'd like to visit in the St G area: Longchamps, LV and possibly Louboutin. We had also planned to visit GL just for the views as we didn't make it there last summer. I just rejigged our itinerary and I think we'll be heading to GL before we shop in the St G area.

Would it make sense to do our shopping at GL? I think I've heard that Longchamps has a shop there... would the prices be the same (end of July)? Is there a LV store there (pretty sure there isn't a Louboutin there so we may walk for that if we have time)? Would the prices be more expensive or the selection less at GL?

I guess what I'm wondering is, is there any reason to make a trip to one of the boutique stores other than shopping at GL if GL is a convenient location for us?

Thank you:-)

Bastille Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Mouffetard Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Cler
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

I had a quick look on amazon.ca but I think I'll head to a local craft store first to see what I can find. Its a great idea :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

casperjj - you purchase all items in each individual boutique, then carry all your shopping bags with you, but you also have the option of leaving things (only items purchased here) in their "Bag Drop" - or you can make an advance appointment with their "Shopping Service", which provides you with a multi-lingual buddy who will wander around with you and help you with everything you could possibly need. Details on GL's official website, under "Services", or you could ask at the Welcome Desk.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

Thanks pattyinparis for the clarification. I won't need a shopping buddy... if I do, it'll be my hubbie or my kids LOL. I'm more interested in looking than actually buying anyway. I bought one pair of Louboutin shoes (my one big souvenir from our 5wk trip!) and a pliage purse at Longchamps last summer. We're travelling with just carryon this summer so whatever I buy must be small.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,362 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

casperjj - in that case, buy a suitcase. :-p

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,208 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

Here ( western Canada) we grew up calling those "sheperds hooks".. you could buy them here and then take them to France to find the charms.. then you would be sure they were hypoallergic etc and not have to worry about it.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

I wouldn't call the GL "charmless" - not at all. It's a gorgeous building, and I love the patio. Now many of their goods I have less than zero interest in, true, because they can be bought in the US. But I have bought some nice scarves there that were reasonably priced and that I get a lot of compliments on.

57. Re: Shopping: St Germain vs Galleries Lafayette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17