We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champigny Sur Marne

cardiff
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Topic
Champigny Sur Marne

Thinking of staying in this area early july for a week with my family. Does anyone know this area, if so could you tell me a bit about it. how to get to central paris by local bus service, is there a town centre? And any advice for this area. Nothing booked yet. Thanks

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

I know Champigny-sur-Marne quite well since it's just across the river from my town. If you have a facebook account and click on my profile, you will see photo albums of the southeastern suburbs of Paris, some of which are in Champigny, which I love. Overall, it's a charming, green, riverside, historically deeply working class suburb. But it has some problem areas. There is a beach along he river Marne and July can be fun for a family since there will be Champigny Plage along the river (I made a photo album called "summertime fun for children" and Champigny is one of the three towns covered in the album).

Now if visiting Paris is your primary goal, Champigny is probably not a good idea. Champigny is very spread out. The nicer parts along the river Marne and medieval old town have no direct public transportation to Paris. The nearest station (called Champigny, on RER A) is actually is my town of Saint-Maur and would require a longish walk or a bus ride to most parts of Champigny. In the northeastern part of town, there is an RER stop called Champigny-les Boullereaux but the neighborhood is not as appealing (it would depend where exactly) and that RER line is less convenient and goes through "not so good" suburbs. It could also add to the commute cost if you want to go to Paris daily. Except for the Noctilien night bus, there are no direct buses between Champigny and Paris. At least I don't think so but I can look if you give me a specific location.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

We rode the RER from the city to the station Mademoiselle FM mentions. It was a little over 30 minutes each way. We went out from Charles de Gaulle-Étoile and returned to Les Halles. You could stay in Champigny and commute every day, if that is what you wanted to do.

cardiff
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

Thanks for the replies. RER Champigny Saint Maur is 200 metre from house it looks like it is just off Av Du General Leclerk. Unfortunately my daughter wont travel on a train, which is why i needed to know about the bus service. Will spend a day at DLP and a few daytrips to paris. Facebook came 40 years to late for me but will give it a try now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,390 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

We went to a Guinguette in this area and had a lovely time and also a very lovely walk along the Marne afterwards. You can see pictures of the Guinguette and the stroll on my photo journal under day trips from Paris. The fun at a Guinguette is for all ages.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

If the place is 200 m from the Champigny RER A station off avenue du Général Leclerc, then it is not in the town of Champigny at all but in my town of Saint-Maur. There is bus 111 which is direct to Paris Bercy, from which you could take other buses to other parts of Paris but the problem is that from the Champigny station it makes a large loop around my town in the opposite direction of Paris before going to Paris so it would be extremely long. Otherwise you would have to take bus 306 west to bus 111. Or, if your daughter's issue with the train is about being underground, then the RER is completely above ground in the suburbs so you could take RER A to bus 111. But it is not easy to get to Disneyland from my town, it takes one hour by RER and would take forever by bus. I would need to look into bus routes.

It's a fantastic neighborhood if you absolutely prefer to be in a suburb. I can give you whatever information you need. It's my home town and I still live there. But it is not convenient to Paris by bus and very inconvenient for Disney.

cardiff
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

Thanks all for replies, is a Guinguette a pub - bar. Sorry about misleading information, location is taken off house rental. We are driving over from uk, so we will have a car and will be driving to disney. Just dont fancy driving in to paris central. Our location was decided by the house and it being near both Disney and Paris. Sorry if replies are slow from me. 111 Bus takes us into Bercy which would be nice and central, and we could just wander about, our take tour bus. How long would bus take to Bercy - any idea what time last bus back from paris would be.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

I just looked at bus routes from that neighborhood. It would be:

- almost one hour to Bercy with two different buses (vs 17 minutes to Nation by RER A)

- 2hrs15 to 2hrs25 to Disneyland with at least 4 buses (vs 48 minutes by RER A)

Not knowing what your daughter's problem is with the train it is hard to comment but all I can say is the RER is mostly above ground and all the stations are wheelchair accessible.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

I was crossposting with you. If you have a car then, no problem. You wouldn't drive to bus 111, you would drive to the Bois de Vincennes and park there if you don't want to drive into Paris. I have my private messaging turned off but will send you my contact info soon in case you need help.

I think it would take about 45 minutes to drive to Disneyland from there.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

afar.com/magazine/take-me-to-the-river-the-r…

cardiff
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Champigny Sur Marne

Thanks again,Disney i wont have a problem with. Now my favorite question. Good places to eat that wont break the bank. And anything that we should,nt miss around the local area. You can allways babysit my 18 year old daughters (twins) for the week and mum and dad could enjoy our week.