We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Spending money

My friends and I will be in Paris for 7 nights and will be staying in an apartment. I'm trying to determine what is a good amount of money to bring as I don't want to get to Paris and have to pinch pennies.

As for food, we have a kitchen and I plan on stocking up from the Monoprix but I would like to go out for a few nice dinners.

I want to see the typical tourist attractions like the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre so I'm not sure if it is worth it to get a museum pass.

And of course transportation (to and from the airport and getting around Paris) will cost.

Souvenirs and shopping is not high on my priority list but I would like to get some things to take home.

I budgeted $3,000 but I'm hoping I can make it with half of that. Any suggestions for saving money is greatly appreciated.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money

"$3000" won't get you very far in Paris. Canadian, US, Australian or whoevers dollars are not the currency used in Paris.

Do you mean 3000€?

If not, look here - www.xe.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,354 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money

$3000 for 1 person for 7 days is more than enough for food, entertainment, and transportation. And light shopping.

Not counting your apartment in that.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money

Me and my girlfriend spent 7 nights in Paris in hotel. We were eating in restaurants at least 2 times a day. Visited Eiffel, Louvre, Versailles, Invalides and etc. Overall we spent about 1000 euro ( not including hotel of course ! ).

p.s I would bring at least 1500 euro for 2 people for a week stay.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 20:25
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money

I find that incredibly hard to believe but thanks for your input.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money

My previous response was the Henneth.

Doby: Of course. Airfare and apartment has been paid for. This is strictly for entertainment and food.

Grandarcher: That is very encouraging!!

Edited: 18 June 2014, 20:32
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money

> I find that incredibly hard to believe but thanks for your input.

Were you referring to me ?

Why is it hard to believe ? We spend on food about 80 euro and museums will get you about 30 euro on average.

UPD. Oops. Sorry, saw your reply too late :)

Edited: 18 June 2014, 20:38
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money

"Were you referring to me ?

Why is it hard to believe ? We spend on food about 80 euro and museums will get you about 30 euro on average."

No, sorry, that was for Henneth (haven't gotten this forum down, yet). I find it hard to believe $3,000 is not enough for a week in Paris. Maybe they assumed I was including lodging.

I think your estimate is more realistic. I am going in a group of three but I am only covering for myself. If you and your s/o had a good time with $1,000 I should be fine with that amount on my own.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money

Nia, what do you find hard to believe about Henneth's post? He was just letting you know that the currency of France is the Euro and that Dollars of any kind would not be accepted, therefore would not get you very far .

$3000 worth of Euro's on the other hand will do you just fine. :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,354 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money

OP --Henneth was being sarcastic/funny because you said $ and on the forums it is customary to use Euros.

You can probably get away with under $1000 but have your debit and credit cards with you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money

Nia, I think Henneth was commenting on the fact that you were referring to dollars, when only euros are accepted. I assumed it was sort of cheeky sarcasm.

I think your budget should be good, and you will likely be able to manage on half.

FWIW,I find the prices of most things to be what you would see at home in dollars, but in euros instead. So in other words, a coffee at home might be $2 but it's 2 euros there. Same thing with the price of groceries too, except in euros instead of dollars.

Most museum entrance fees I found to be in the area of about 12 euros or so.

Lunch at a cheap cafe might be $10 at home, but 10 euros in Paris.

Not sure was the USD exchange to euros rate is, but for Canadian, I usually just count on approximately $1.50 for every euro spent.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

Edited: 18 June 2014, 20:43