We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Versailles with a toddler

San Jose
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Versailles with a toddler

My wife and I will be in Paris for about a week and pondering whether going to Versailles with our 1 1/2 year old son would be worthwhile (we're going in Aug). I read in the forums that a stroller isn't allowed inside so that might be a problem. While he's only about 22 pounds, carrying him around shoulder to shoulder with other tourists doesn't sound too much fun.

We could perhaps rent a golf cart and drive around. I have read from some people that it was so busy during the July/Aug timeframe that it wasn't worth it.

Any suggestions?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Versailles with a toddler

I wouldn't, not with a toddler.

I would wait until the day you are considering going, and then see what the weather is like. If it's temperate and mild, you might all enjoy the grounds, but I highly doubt that the chateau would be fun with a toddler. It's a mass of people, and there's no way to get out other than following the proscribed path. I started to feel really trapped. There were way too many people, many pushing, and it was just too hot.

Don't go if there's a heatwave. There's not much shade in the formal gardens, and the line for golf carts, when we were there, was extremely long and not moving.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Versailles with a toddler

Totally agree with Tracieknits. The château would be a nightmare with a toddler. If you get a really nice day, go and enjoy the grounds and the petit train and the hameau and the fountains to the extent you can if you like, but really, your toddler can have the same kind of fun right in Paris in the parks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Versailles with a toddler

I wouldn't even consider it. The place is enormous. You will either decide to cut and run after seeing little yourself, or, worse, find yourself deep inside and wishing or needing to be out. And the train ride is boring enough for a child that age. No, no, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 22:05
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Versailles with a toddler

Someone posted a trip report within the past couple of weeks on a visit to Versailles. A lady with an adult son I believe. When they decided they were tired of walking and went to get a golf cart there was an hour wait. So if you do go to see the grounds I'd get there early and go straight for the carts to ensure getting one.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Versailles with a toddler

I did it my my last one when she was about 2 so probably >20 pounds too (about 12 kgm) but it was not confortable...

BUT I seem to recall that only metallic stroller are forbidden - you may want to check this, there might be a solution.

From their site :

Les poussettes et porte-bébés avec armatures métalliques ne sont pas autorisés dans les salles. Prévoir un sac kangourou ou porte-bébé sans armature métallique pour les enfants de moins d’un an.

It seems worse : they forbid any stroller and allow only bags (kangooroo bags for children) without metal for kids under 1 year.... seems pretty tough regulations

Edited: 18 June 2014, 22:28
San Jose
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Versailles with a toddler

Thanks for everybody's input.......may not fit in to our relaxing Paris vacation we are looking forward to. Our son would probably prefer us taking him to Disney France anyways...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Versailles with a toddler

You know, that sounds like a whole lot of bother just to take a ride in a golf cart - bundling up everyone and all their stuff, taking a crowded train, possibly having to wait an hour for an available cart - and as someone pointed out, it will likely be very warm, and there is not much shade on the estate...

I dunno - I have taken grown men and women to Versailles in the Summer, and nobody was happy until we got back to Paris and found the nearest shady cafe terrace and a bottle of chilled rose!

I agree with those who suggested the many parks in Paris - plenty of shade, a lot of fountains, lots of birds, playground equipment, other kids running around, toilets and food and drink usually very close by....

...and very quick and easy to get back to your lodging when you've had quite enough fun for one day!

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Versailles with a toddler

If you want to get a peek at something similar to verseilles you could try napoleons apartments in the louvre. They are smaller and less crowded but just as grand. I went to the lourve with my 22 month old last week with a stroller to view the apartments. I went after lunch when she was napping. Having said that once she was awake we only had limited time.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Versailles with a toddler

Honestly, at that age, don't bother with Disney. Seriously. It won't register, and it's a lot of money and hassle. My son doesn't even remember stuff we did for him when he was six - like seeing The Wiggles with front row seats.

She will probably love the parks in Paris at least as much as Disney - if not more because it's not stressful.

ETA that I agree with the above post. Napoleon's apartments are gorgeous.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 02:58
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Versailles with a toddler

Disney.. only for yourself.. don't bother for your child.. they are still too young, the crowds may annoy him.. and the expense and hassle.. not worth it..

What a child that age may enjoy is an afternoon in the Luxembourg Gardens.. sometimes there is live music,, there is always ice cream.. and there is a great playground.. ( some equipment has a small fee).. Pack a picnic and plan a relaxing afternoon.. you will enjoy it too!