We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
162 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

I am in Paris now and have already taken an SNCF train for our wonderful trip to Mont St Michel (lucky that the train was running during the strike!). It was an actual ticket provided by the ticket office so the validation process was easy. So far, it looks like our next train to Brive la Gaillard for our voyage to the Dordogne valley is also running and our trip is this Friday. But, I received an electronic train ticket and printed it at home, so I wonder if and how I can validate it in the machine at the station, or if I need to go to the ticket area and get a "real" ticket? It seems like maybe I can cut it into the correct the size and try to put into the validation machine at the station, but I'm not sure if that will work. Does anyone have experience with this that could help me? Many thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

You do not nee to validate a print at home ticket. Just make sure that the bar code is visible and the conductor will scan it when he checks.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

E-tickets normally have a QR code, which will be the scanned by the SNCF on-board staff to validate your ticket.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

You do not validate an e-ticket, you just show it when the inspector comes to your seat on the train. But you are not allowed to cut the page. You must keep the full A4-size page.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
162 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

Wow; thank you all for your quick responses! I am so grateful to the TA community because this is so helpful. I promise I will post a trip report later to help others.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

Actually, it doesn't have to be A4 size; the American 8.5"X 11" size is close enough and works fine.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 22:44
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

Yes, "letter-size" for North Americans, A4 for the rest of the world ;-) What I mean is the full page, you mustn't cut anything off.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,022 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

And just check that it doesn't say "À COMPOSTER" anywhere on the print out - if it does then you will have to validate the ticket by pushing one corner into the machine.

I had assumed that all "print at home" tickets didn't need validation but I have been shown an example with the above legend on it, so some clearly do.

8. Re: How to validate SNCF ticket printed at home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:16