We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Hello,

My future husband and I are honeymooning in Paris and Rome in early-mid September. We will be staying in the St. Germain area in Paris for approx. 3 days (we arrive Tuesday afternoon and will depart Friday late afternoon). We will then be arriving in Rome Friday night and leaving the following Tuesday morning - so 3 full days.

Looking for any information at all, as first-timers in Europe! Particularly, what should we pack for clothing (besides comfy shoes!). We tend to be "carry-on only" travelers. And, of course, suggestions on restaurants (particularly, a semi-nice dinner one night some place with the Eiffel Tower in view). Want to see the typical tourist sites (Eiffel Tower, Versailles, Arc de Triomphe, Seine River cruise, Orsay, Pantheon, Champs Elysses, Notre Dame, Louvre, Catacombs, etc.)... Any tips on how to skip lines and get around? I've read that the Paris Pass isn't actually a great deal. We're also planning on taking the metro from the airport (CDG), if there's some transportation pass I'm missing, too?

Thanks in advance!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

By the time you arrive and taking into consideration the check-in time at the airport before your departure to Rome, you really only have 2 full days in Paris. Versailles is accessible by train from Paris but will probably take up the best part of the day and so my recommendation would be to exclude it this time (you are planning to go back, right?)

To maximum your time, you might consider taking an evening Seine river cruise including dinner.

You should allow 1-2 hours for the Pantheon but the time spent in the Musee d'Orsay and Le Louvre will very much depend on you and what you want to see. You could easily spend 1/2 day in each.

The Metro (underground train) system is a very good way to get around Paris and for the short time you are in the city, I would tend to buy the tickets as you go.

Get yourself a pocket guide to Paris. It will contain a map of the city and a map of the metro. Mark the places you most want to see and try to group them accordingly. The Eiffel Tower is set apart from the other main tourist sights you mention and not really within walking distance of them.

As for clothes: comfy shoes, a cardigan/lightweight jumper, a jacket and a waterproof are all good standbys. Jeans/trousers for the daytime with perhaps a nice dress/skirt and top for the evening.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 23:00
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Layers!! Pack lots of thin layers :-) It's going to be colder than St Louis in September.

Versailles is about 45 minutes out of the city by train, and will take the majority of a day. Are you sure you want to spend 1/3 of your time in Paris at Versailles? You might - but if you're just putting it on the list because it's popular, you might want to reconsider. There's so much to do in Paris and you have only a few days!

The first step is getting a guide book from a bookstore or the library and deciding which sites are most interesting to you. With only 3 days, you're going to have to make a lot of choices and cuts. Prioritize things by Must see, would like to see, and will see if there's time. I also recommend reading this forum as lots of interesting things will pop up that you would have never thought to ask about.

So when you've picked the six things you want to see the most, come back here and we can help you organize your itinerary in a way that makes the most sense :-)

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Just to add to the above (and I quote):

The average temperature for this month starts off at 17.5°C on September 1st and drops down to 14.5°C by September 30th. Daily highs decrease from 22°C to 19°C across the month, almost never exceeding 27°C or falling under 14°C. Daily low temperatures follow a similar pattern and fall from 13°C to 10°C, going under 6°C or rising above 16°C only one day out of every ten.

In recent times, the highest temperature which has ever been recorded for Paris in September is 32°C, with the lowest temperature ever recorded for this month being 2°C. When you compare these temperatures to the average for the month – 16°C – it’s clear that they’re the extremes and aren’t what you should expect to experience during your holiday. Overall, the hottest month in 2013 was September, when the average daily high temperature was 21°C. Relative to the average, the hottest day of the year was September 5th, which had a high temperature of 33°C – that’s 11°C higher than the average.

Paris is subject to an average of 16mm of rainfall throughout September, making it one of the driest months of the year. Despite the small amount of rain, with some type of precipitation falling on 11 days throughout the month, there is a good chance you’ll experience a shower or two. It’s better to be safe than sorry so make sure you pack an umbrella or waterproof coat before you travel.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Oh I wish we understood Celsius in the US! LOL

15 Celsius is about 60 Farenheit :-)

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Yes Tracie

Fahrenheit, miles, gallons, pounds and stones ... I'm always surprised US count in hours and months and not in tides and moons... :-)

So for US friends :

Celsius : outside temp : 0 is freezing time, 36 is body temp. below and above : avoid !!!

Loire red wines are best chilled at 15-16, other red at room temp (18-20). White can be 4-6 C...

Pastas cook best at 100 C

knowing more about Celsius is a waste of time.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Oh, you guys across the pond have a lower body temp than we do! Ha! I thought the Latins were hot-blooded, but it is we who are!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

Rebecca - You really only have 2 full days in Paris as I see it. Right off I would eliminate Versailles and the Catacombs. As said, Versailles will take a better part of a day and you can wait in line at the Catacombs for 2 or more hours to get in. The things you want to do on your list just won't be possible in 2 days.

With so little time I'd stick with central Paris. Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Seine river cruise, Pantheon, etc. It's really all you'll have time for.

And may I be frank? With only 6 days I'd pick either Paris or Rome. Remember you'll lose a lot in time traveling between the two and won't have as much time as you think you do. And if you are flying straight from the US you really have to factor in Jet Lag. It affects everyone differently. I've been to both cities and you need time to just wander around and take everything in. Sit in a park and cafes. But, if you think you'll be back to actually relax and enjoy then maybe this trip will just be a 'scouting expedition' for your next. They are both great cities.

8. Re: Honeymoon in Paris and Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:17