We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

I just received the 2 adapters. One is described as for France and the other for Italy. They both look suspiciously similar. Got them from Amazon. Was I conned into getting a duplicates? I did read up on the net about the type of outlets in both countries, and they were described as being different. Thanks,

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

There's a tiny difference in the diameter of the pins. It's possible that the French adaptor might not fit an older Italian socket but unlikely. The Italian adaptor fits a bit "loose" in French sockets.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,417 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

France and Germany have the same size plugs and receptacles. Otherwise, there are indeed differences.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize they were different in each country. I knew they were different than the states and we purchased the adapters already. Going to have to check and see which one they're good for now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

I have one "European" plug adaptor that ii have successfully used in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and maybe some other places. There may be a small difference in the plugs actually sold on devices in these countries, but my personal experience is that you can use the same adaptor plug in all of them.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

Electrical appliances sold in France and Italy come with the same pre-fitted plug.

As has been said, once upon a time the diameter of the pins were slightly different but now a universal size that may feel a little loose in some sockets is used.

The earthing arrangements vary between France/Belgium and Germany, the former countries using a third pin (which is "male" not "female" on the socket and vice-versa on the plug) and the latter sprung strips at the side of the plug. Modern plugs and adaptors cope with both.

6. Re: Outlet adapter in France and Italy.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16