We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from fontainbleau

nickymant
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
transport from fontainbleau

We are looking to travel from Font to Paris for a day of sight seeing end of July, I have tried to book train tickets online but with no success.

Do I buy the tickets on the day?

If so which ticket shall I get?

Will the Paris visite ticket take me from font or is it just for tourist stuff around the city?

Thank

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,462 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from fontainbleau

musee-chateau-fontainebleau.fr/…

Pretty explicit directions on the site for the chateau itself.

No, your Paris Visite pass will be of no use here.

nickymant
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from fontainbleau

so do I just buy a ticket from the station in font to get to paris?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from fontainbleau

Yes you just buy a ticket from the window or a machine, VALIDATE it and travel. You need to validate it again before starting the return journey.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from fontainbleau

If you're only going to Paris once buy a Mobils pass for zones 1-5. It costs 16.10€. It will cover your round trip between Paris and Fontainebleau and all your public transport in Paris itself. I forget if the train station in Fontainebleau has a manned ticket counter but if not buy it from a machine. I would have coins with you as the machines may not accept bills (they always accept coins) and if you don't have a chip and PIN credit card it may not accept your magnetic strip card. The Mobilis pass looks just like a ticket t+ (métro ticket) and is the same size. Stick it in the composting machine at Fontainebleau to get validated before boarding the train. In Paris you'll just stick it into the turnstiles to use the métro/RER and you'll stick it in the validation machine on the buses. You don't need to validate it again when returning from Paris to Fontainebleau.

For info on train schedules use www.transilien.com. The train station for Fontainebleau is actually in the adjacent town of Avon and the stop is called Fontainebleau-Avon. Take Bus #1 between the château and the train station. The English version of the château website says to take bus A but this is outdated and the bus lines have changed from letters to numbers. You'll arrive at Gare de Lyon in Paris. The journey takes about 40 minutes and trains are very frequent (about every half hour for most of the day).

To learn how to get around Paris (and between Paris and Fontainebleau) by métro/bus/RER use www.ratp.fr. Here is a link to a route planner:

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

Here is an interactive map of the system:

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

Since parts of this website are only in French you can also use www.transilien.com or www.vianavigo.com. Via Navigo probably has the most complete English website.

To learn about the various types of transport passes look here:

http://vianavigo.com/en/tickets-and-fares/

A good website to learn how to use public transport in Paris is www.parisbytrain.com. It will likely answer any of your questions about what is the métro, what is the RER, what kinds of tickets you need, how to buy tickets, what kinds of passes are available etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,425 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from fontainbleau

Why wouldn't the Visite Pass work? If it is charged for sufficient zones it should work. It is generally not a good deal financially but if someone has a 5 zone pass already, then it should take you from Fontainebleau to Paris and back.

janettravels44

janettravels.wordpress.com

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from fontainbleau

The Visite Pass either covers zones 1-3 or zones 1-5. It can not be topped up with a Complément de Parcours like a Navigo pass if you have only a zone 1-3 pass. If you have a zone 1-5 Visite Pass then your journey is covered and forget my advice about the Mobilis pass.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from fontainbleau

Janet - I encourage you from now on to post direct links to your relevant blogs so people don't have to search. I know there were some grumps who reported these posts in the past but I would never report you. :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport from fontainbleau

for those under 26 years of age, the day pas Ticket Jeunes Week-end zones 1-5 (8,10 €) can be used on a Saturday or Sunday (or on State Holidays, but check if chateau is open) and can be a good cheaper alternative to the Mobilis zones 1-5 day pass

Ticket Jeunes Week-end must be filled out and date you're using it must be written in, and some ID as proof of age should be on you

9. Re: transport from fontainbleau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:17