We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are room prices in Paris based on?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
What are room prices in Paris based on?

Can anyone help me as to whether the room prices in fairly upmarket hotels in Paris are based on a room price for 2 adults, or per person sharing? This would exclude breakfast, and specifically stated single rooms. Thanks.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

In Paris, the charge is per room.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

A room price is usually for the room. If I want a single bed for me only, then that is often cheaper than if I want a double bed for just me. Obviously the room will be much bigger and therefore more expensive.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

The rates are a base room price which varies depending upon the number in the room.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

Breakfast is usually not included.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

Paris hotels charge a ridiculous amount for a minimal breakfast; it is rarely 'free' with room but an expensive add on. Rooms charge by the room and extra people are not allowed in the room e.g. you pay for a single, double, triple or quad rooom. There are rarely double rooms that will allow an extra bed for a third in which case, a fee is charged for the third. But most double rooms are limited to two people.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

Thanks very much. Very helpful!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

So the bottom line is that if I go on a business trip to Paris where expenses are paid for by the client in a 4 or 5 star hotel, and the room always has at least one double bed, then I could take my teenager with me? And just pay incidentals, or any other costs incurred by her. But the room would have been covered other than per person taxes? So I would not incur costs for my client who I would inform. I just don't want them to feel obliged to pay.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

Under those circumstances you should specify a room with two beds.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

As I understand it: The price that the hotel charges for a "single" room is often less than that charged for a "double" room. And you cannot reserve a "single" room and show up with two people. You can sometimes pay extra, as a solo traveler, to have a slightly bigger room (which is what Dale references above) but this is not necessarily the same price that the hotel would charge to have two people stay in that same exact room.

So the charge is per room, but also varying depending on the number of people in the party. If that makes sense! This is what I saw when researching many hotels, as an example: Single room for one person with a small bed - 90 euros. Larger single room for one person with larger bed - 95 euros (Dale's example above). Double room for two people - 100 euros (but this is the exact same room configuration that the "single with larger bed" is given... more is charged for the same room because of double occupancy vs solo).

If I'm reading your question correctly, you want to reserve a room for one person (which may or may not have a double bed in it - you can't necessarily assume!) and then bring another person to share that room. In my understanding, that is not allowed - whether or not the extra person can physically fit in the same bed with you. You must book & pay for a two-person room which is often more expensive than a one-person room. After all, even if I stay there by myself the week before you & your daughter in the exact same room, it's logical for the hotel to charge you more than they charged me, because you have two people taking hot showers, two people running the hair dryer, two people using linens, etc.

The bottom line is that you need to check both prices with the hotel: you alone vs. you sharing a room with your daughter. I would be very surprised if you were not charged additional euros for adding a second occupant.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What are room prices in Paris based on?

That was my original question. Is the price per person sharing in Paris or a room rate? My husband and I went to Lisbon last year, and it was a room rate if the room could accommodate 2 persons. As long as there were no more than 2 persons ie size of sleeping space, the cost was per room as opposed to per person sharing like countries in Africa. Thanks for your comment. My logic!