We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris metro, RER B

pl
4 posts
Save Topic
paris metro, RER B

I'll be changing planes at Charles de Gaulle airport and I will have 6 hours in between the flights. Is this enough time to travel by RER B line to Notre Dame, walk through the Louvre, Champs Elysees, Eiffel Tower, Champ de Mars and then get on the metro at the Eiffer Tower to Notre Dame and change trains to RER B to Charles de Gaulle?

1. Do I need to buy a RER B ticket and a metro ticket separately?

2. Am I crazy trying to do that in about 6 hours? (2 hours for travelling from/to the airport, 3 hours for the walk and 1 hour extra for the unexpected)?

Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,736 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris metro, RER B

You are joking right?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,979 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris metro, RER B

What is the destination of your follow-in flight?

If you destination is transatlantic, be at the airport 3 hours before scheduled departure. If your destination is within the EU, I would be at CDG 2 hours before scheduled departure. Perhaps less if your luggage is checked in and your have your boarding passes in hand: 2 hours transatlantic, 1 hour domestic.

Allow one hour transit time to/from CDG to addresses in Paris. You can be in Paris 1½ to 2 hours from your CDG arrival. You might have anywhere from 30 minutes up to 2 hours free in Paris depending upon the specifics of your situation, not near sufficient time for all you have planned.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: paris metro, RER B

Go to notre dame and see what time you have left. From ther go to next destination. Pay attention to being back 1 or 2 hours before time of departure flight. Look at a map to plan your moves and be ready to turn back according to time.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
54 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris metro, RER B

Be very aware on the train from CDG into Paris. On June 10 we were robbed of a back pack which had our passport, cash and many other much needed items for overseas trip in it. We sat at the back of the train very aware that gypsies frequent the train and scam the tourists. A fellow got up to leave the train, he stumbled towards me (I thought he was going to fall over me), he then dropped money on the floor to distract us and whilst we were trying to assist him, another accomplice snatched the backpack from the seat next to us. It happened so fast we were unware that it had been taken until we composed ourselves, then they were off the train. We only had 3 days in Paris, one day was spent at Police station, the other at the Australian Embassy, the next day collecting new passport and short sight-seeing trip. This ruined the beginning of our trip.

The police asked us if we took a new or old train into Paris. It was an old train and he said they don't have CCTV on them, only the newer trains do. We encountered a lot of scammers during our trip in France. This is truly a problem and something should be done about it. The Romanies are openly doing this out in the public to unsuspecting tourists.

pl
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: paris metro, RER B

Thank you all for the replies. JW1955, your input is invaluable.

@Janettravels44: No, I wasn't joking, I was asking for advice and realistic evaluation of this plan. Now I see I might be a little short of time, even though my destination is within the EU.

I think I'll just wait at the airport... Thanks everyone!

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
54 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris metro, RER B

Your welcome dianat100, I want to make it my mission that people know of this problem. regards JW1955

7. Re: paris metro, RER B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:17