We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card use in Europe

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
994 posts
726 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card use in Europe

Something else different in Europe is waiters & others do not take your CC away from the table. They bring the mobile CC reader to your table so the CC is never out of your view. Done everywhere we have been. Also some will ask if you want the amount in $$ or euros. If you opt for $$ most will add a 3% conversion charge. I always declined this but some will say the bank gave them no option. FYI

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,516 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card use in Europe

hi

you will also find that method if you visit Canada since we have PIN and Chip cards.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card use in Europe

The problem with ECC is that you do not know what the exchange rate will be nor if any other fees are included. Secondly, Visa or MC will still add a currency conversion fee, 3%, even through the transaction is in dollars. DCC should always be declined.

If you are not given the option to pay in a local currency, write ¨local currency not offered¨ on your signed receipt and contest the charge with your card issuing bank when you return home.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card use in Europe

<<Done everywhere we have been. Also some will ask if you want the amount in $$ or euros. If you opt for $$ most will add a 3% conversion charge. I always declined this but some will say the bank gave them no option. FYI>>

This has only happened to me once in Paris, checking out of a hotel.

When/if they ask, just insist on Euros.

It is not true that "the bank gave them no option", and there is clearly an option on the processing machine when they present it to you to refuse or choose Euros.

If the merchant asks, does not show you the display (which they are required to do), or tells you "the bank gave them no option", you simply refuse to sign the slip, rather than "write local currency not offered" then (hope to) dispute the charge.

As noted by Sarastro, if you "choose" USD, you're not paying in USD at all, rather an amount in Euros converted to USD at the rate of their choice. Then, the amount is converted back to Euros (since all transactions are always processed in the local currency) and, if your credit card issuer charges a foreign transaction percentage, that is added onto that.

This is far more common in other places than Paris, such as Ireland.

Again, insist on Euros, and don't sign the slip unless it's in Euros. If they "explain" or argue with you, stand your ground.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
994 posts
726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card use in Europe

Of course I only travel with CC's that do not charge a conversion fee....so I do not want it forced on me.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
2,016 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card use in Europe

I am in Europe frequently and have only been asked euros or dollars about three times. No one has insisted on dollars. If that happened, I would definitely stand my ground.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,320 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card use in Europe

Visa and MC do not charge a 3% conversion fee, your particular bank does. We have an ATM from a local bank that does not charge this (and pays any out of network fees) and a credit card that is a Visa that also does not charge this fee.

The same US dollar choice is sometimes offered at ATMs and can be confusing: I got hooked by it once since it was unclear to me, but never again. And yes, there is a choice with a credit card and the vendor is lying to you if they tell you it has to be charged in dollars.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit card use in Europe

<<Visa and MC do not charge a 3% conversion fee, your particular bank does.>>

Actually, Visa and MC charge a 1% currency conversion fee. Local banks can add from nothing (such as USAA) to 2% (as does B of A and Wells Fargo among others).

Card agreements were change in about 2012 because Visa/MC was losing money due to DCC. Currently, whatever you currently pay for foreign transactions will be applied to virtually all transactions outside of the USA, regardless of the currency used in the transaction. Certain exceptions apply to charges at military bases and embassies.

The point here is that using DCC saves you nothing and can result in conversion rates less favorable than those used by Visa or MC.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
994 posts
726 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit card use in Europe

And the only merchants to ask for an ID were the hotels.....usually someone in the States checks a photo ID. Interesting.

9. Re: Credit card use in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17