We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

Any input on either these two specific hotels, or at least the neighborhoods. What area would be superior or preferred, if either. Input appreciated, I do not know the plusses and minuses of either area.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

Location has much more to offer in the second case: the Eiffel Tower area sure sounds nice at first, but that's pretty much the only landmark and point of interest in the area.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

It depends on what you have in mind. Villa Saxe is in a far quieter area than Crystal Saint-Germain which is in Tourist Central only steps from blvd Saint-Germain, a good thing if you're looking for "lively".

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

I agree with both posts above. The important thing as far as advantages of any area is knowing what you prefer.

I don't know how you decided upon these 2 hotels--was it based on price range?

If you give a bit of a description of yourself and what your priorities are, and include your budget and length of stay, then you can get some feedback that would be helpful in deciding on area (and even specific hotel).

Sometimes age is a factor (if one wants to be in a youthful environment, for example--or the opposite), sometimes people prefer a lively area (or quiet), sometimes a posh area for shopping (or a more affordable area--maybe posh is uncomfortable for them). The area around the Villa Saxe will feel a bit "official" at times, and things feel sort of closed down in the evenings. That can be a positive or negative (as already suggested). The St Germain area is popular and lively, but its popularity can lead to a "touristy" vibe. Again, not necessarily bad or good objectively. You get the idea.

Often it is convenient to stay in a central area for a first time trip, but if your stay is a long one, it's not as inconvenient to take public transportation to the sights you'll want to see.

On my first trip, I stayed in the 7th (at the Hotel du Champ de Mars), and it was too quiet for us in the evenings. That just reflects our preference, though. I have stayed several times and in several places in St Germain, and although I have branched out into less touristed areas now, i did find it pretty ideal for "a beginner." There are many hotel choices there--I have not stayed at the Crystal.

The important thing to remember is that no matter where you base yourself, try to see as many parts of Paris as you can. You may be in the "touristy" 6th or "quiet" 7th, but that doesn't mean you spend all your time where your hotel is located.

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

We are staying 4 nights in August. 3 of the 4 are 1st timers. 2 of us in our mid-50's and a. 30 yr old and a 21 yr old. Gonna cram as much as we can in 4 days .

These / hotels seemed to be the best options through our tour operator. I 'm leaning towards the Saint-Germain area.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

We stayed at the Saxe several years ago. The area is very residential. Dead quiet at night. It is a bit of a walk from the nearest metro. Although I am not a big fan of the noisy, touristy St Germaine area, I would choose it over the Saxe's location.,

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

I think you are leaning in the right direction. Are you limited to the choices that the tour operator provides?

Northern California
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

We narrowed it down to a few areas at certain price- points, and wanted at least 3.5 stars. We do really like the Hotel Saxe Eiffel and gets very good reviews on TA......although it is in a more residential area, it is a 4 star and we will need to walk a little further to the metro, etc. the Crystal is only 3 stars & has mixed reviews.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

The star system used to rate hotels in France is not equivalent to what you might be used to in the US. Often, the difference is impossible to understand, or even notice.

Don't put a lot of faith in it, and take the reviews with a huge grain of salt. The best aids are the Traveller's Photos and GoogleMap Street View, so you can check out both the hotel and the surroundings.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

pattyinparis has explained it well.

And don't discount the importance of area--you are from Northern California, so think about San Francisco and how varied the neighborhoods are. Go for what suits you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Villa Saxe Eiffel vs. Hotel Crystal Saint-Germain

Crystal st Germain is in a great lively area with tons to do and close to many attractions.

I think location is far more important than stars or reviews. Hopefully you'll spend most of your time exploring the area, not in the hotel