We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

2 posts
Save Topic
What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

We will be driving from Paris to Arles and are wondering if we will have enough time to see things along the way and arrive before it's too late. What would you suggest we see along the way? It has been suggested that the Cathedral in Bourges is not to be missed. We love unique, out of way stops...are there any between Bourges and Arles we should make sure to see?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

Off hand I would think that there are a hundred interesting things to see...but they would be on national and departmental roads, not right by the tolled highway..

Mind you, there are numerous official signs along the autoroute of sights "not to be missed"

Bourges Cathedral is fine, but so are hundreds of them across France...How familiar are you with Gothic cathedrals?

Bourges is also quite far from the most logical routes from Paris to Arles, that would go through or near Auxerre, Dijon, Lyon, Valence, Orange, Avignon...Each town has lots to see, and there are more sights in small places along the way

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

WHY are you doing this instead of taking the train?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

Why are you driving? It will take about 8 hours on the toll motorway without stops. Wouldn't it be better to take the train?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

May be they enjoy driving...and love the idea of driving in France.

My dad drove everywhere in France...including a famous trip from Bordeaux to Paris to meet someone and back the same day...the best part is that he couldn't remember where he was supposed to meet his friend...

There were 2 things that he would NEVER do: take a train and enter a Catholic church...even though his best friend was a Catho priest, and dad raised money to have the chapel in his workplace restored.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

Basically you are going to see a lot of autoroute in this journey and at times your passengers may enjoy the scenery. You would probably have time for a lunch stop in a town just off the autoroute, perhaps Chalon-sur Saone. Bourges Cathedral, and the Palais Jacques Coeur, are certainly impressive but if you want to mae it a sightseeing trip, it would take longer than a day.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,417 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

You are going to see lots of freeway, makes lots of restroom stops, and if you are lucky, be able to stop for lunch. That´s it.

I have driven from Avignon to Paris in one day but that was a long time ago. For me now it´s either an easy drive over two days or a 3 hour train ride. I would not recommend attempting to drive from Paris to Arles in one day.

East Coast
Level Contributor
250 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

Looks like it's a 7-8 hour drive, when are you driving (date/time)?

Edited: 03 July 2014, 12:04
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

It's too long a drive to stop anywhere. When I drive to the south of France from Paris I usually make it an overnight trip as it's a lot more relaxing. You can do it in one day if you have a spouse to share the driving with but still, with lunch and bathroom stops it's 9 hours on the road (toll road) in fair traffic conditions and 14 - 16 hours off tolll roads. So it doesn't really leave any time to visit anything.

A road trip is one thing, you take your time, tour rural France making stops along the way. But connecting such distant cities in one day is a different thing altogether.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

All that you will be seeing is the back of a lot of big trucks. Plus, according to www.viamichelin.com it will cost about 160€ in fuel and tolls. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do this when the train is faster and cheaper with advance tickets.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see if driving from Paris to Arles in one day?

13+ hours by the viamichelin discovery route, 7+ hours by mostly autoroute. Train wins by many a mile unless the OP has a particular reason to drive.